Playstation 3 Blue Ray quality - How good is it ?

Can it compare to Sony top quality Blue Ray Player in term of sound/picture quality?

Thanks....
edle
You bet, and the fact its software can be updated on line makes it future proof to a degree. Don't waste your money on a standalone yet. Be sure to have the remote that is made for the ps, it does it all. Be sure to get the blu-ray version of Planet Earth, video wise it is the acid test of performance. Recently tried the first audio blu-ray and stella was the performance and quality of the sound. Hopefully, since Sony is the mother and father of blue-ray, some of the great SACD's will be re-issued on that format. It will become the audio standard for the high end with more and more material being re-mastered for the medium. But now the bad news, no one will be able to 'mod' blu-ray in a PS3, so it will get bad press from the mod people. Best as I can tell the video press gives the PS3 the edge over everthing out there.
What he said!

I love watching new releases in blue-ray....WOW, Diehard rattled the windows in a big way, it was so fun! Not to mention, Gan Tourismo Prolog...

Then when the market stablizes, I'll get a dedicated player
I agree with both of the previous posters. It can't be beat right now... not unless you have an ungodly amount of money to blow on stereo equipment.
Best as I can tell the video press gives the PS3 the edge over everthing out there.

I totally disagree, while the PS3 is currently the only v2.0 player made, the video (mine is running F/W 2.35) is still significantly inferior to any other Blu-ray player I have had, even the first one out, the Samsung BDP-1000. Yep, it plays games, and GTA IV is in mine now, but I wouldn't consider it a great Blu-ray player by any means.

I am sure some will attack me for this, bring it on! I have A-B'd this to several stand alones and each and every one I used bested the PS3 for video, and audio as well (though last time I did this I was using the optical digital out for audio) and the test was done with two copies of the same disc, which was swapped out to be sure they both played equally.....

If you want a new gaming platform, and it has the games you'd like, it will tide you over until you buy a stand alone, but it really has no place in a audiophile/videophiles system as the primary Blu-ray player.