Looking to build a system for under $5k

Hello,

I am brand new to audio and looking to put a system together for around/under $5k all in. Any recommendations?

This would be mainly for CD audio but expandable for phono in the future. I have a small bedroom that I am dedicating as a music room upstairs in a cape cod style home. So it has angled walls that follow the roof line.

Looking for components that offer the biggest bang for the buck. I've done some research over the last couple of months and it seems like the Vandersteen 1Ci might be a good cornerstone to design a system around.

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Seeing @charles1dad 's excellent recommendations triggered a thought about another single-ended triode possibility. Check out Decware's Model SE84UFO, which also has ability to drive the highly efficient Tekton Lore (98dB). At $995 new, pricing is the same as my earlier Odyssey Khartago solid state recommendation. Both companies offer 30-day auditions (except Decware has that pesky 10% "restocking" fee ... ugh). This offers the ability to hear which amp sounds best to you, using your music, and in your listening environment.    
With that budget - for the money...

Best speakers (by far):  Wavetouch Audio Grand Tetons or Anteros /or/         Spatial Audio M4 Turbo /or/ Maggie .7 / 1.7 / 1.6 / MMG
Best Amp:  ClassDAudio SDS-470C  /or/  Parasound A21
Preamp:  Creek OBH-22 Passive Preamp /or/ other passive preamp with     balanced connections
SACD:  Sony SCD-XA5400ES 
Cables:  Anti-Cables - IC's / Speaker

You won't ever "look back."
It seems that once again I offer the road less traveled in my advice. 

Hear at least three different genres of systems, i.e. dynamic or hybrid dynamic speakers, panel speakers, and higher efficiency speakers with lower powered amps. The components used should complement the speakers. Then decide which genre of speaker you like best. 

Go to an audio show. You will learn more than from 200 posts here. The money you spend will be returned in the quality of the selections you make as an informed listener to products. It could save you the equivalent of years of searching/learning and put you in touch with products you never would hear otherwise. I consider it the single most important move for someone who wants to get serious about sound. Do a bunch of reading and have your show agenda worked out to hear as much affordable gear as you can. The cost seems disproportionate to the benefit in terms of dollars spent on gear, but the learning curve is steepened and changes the trajectory of your experience. Priceless! 

Definitely do NOT simply buy a recommended system here, unless you like gambling with your audio money. It is not a bad idea to buy a system you love the sound of from a show. You may be able to carry some of it home with you to save shipping. If you have a big enough vehicle you may pack the entire thing after the last day of the show. THAT's how you make the best of being a novice as you move into audio. I was ignorant of how such things worked, and there were not many shows when I started in years ago, but if I were in your shoes that is likely how I would get a first system now. 

I am not interested in debating any of my recommendations. 

I am not interested in debating any of my recommendations.
Nothing to debate brother.  You're post is pretty much a mirror image of mine and tls47.  I couldn't agree more.
+1 for @charles1dad 
+1 for @strateahed 

entry level Pro Dynamics could be an optional choice to combine with the above reference Coincident Dynamo MK II amplifier.
http://tyleracoustics.com/pro_dynamics.html

Magnepan .7 or  1.7 could be an optional choice for the Odyssey Khartago
http://www.odysseyaudio.com/