Class "A" sound, as related to Stereophile.

It's all about the sound.

It's all about sound, not how much it cost; when I got into "high end", I knew right off the bat I couldn't afford it, but I had to find one thing for sure; how do the various components sound in regard to Stereophile's classes, or ratings? In order to know this; I had to acquire the ability to identify "Stereophile's" class "A" class "B" and class "C" sounds, and the only way to do that was: first, subscribe to Stereophile, and next was to go to every high end audio salon within driving distance; there were 5 well stocked "high end" salons within driving distance. (Since I didn't take my wife, that created some problems)

After a few years of subscribing to Stereophile, plus auditioning equipment that Stereophile recommended, I knew the sound of those recommendations, and I absolutely concurred with them; "If you want to hear the music, you got to pay the piper". While that's true, it's possible to get class "A" sound with class "B" bucks or less.

At this moment, I am looking at 8 capacitors that cost $25 dollars each, plus 2 mono blocks with an instant resale value of 6K. Once I take the covers off and go in with my soldering iron, these mono blocks are worth a resell of O; my mission must be a success. After a successful mission, the resell is still 0; but those mono blocks will deliver class "A" or "A"+ sound, and that's some sweet music.

I have to visualize and hear music in my head before I can modify a component to deliver class "A" sound; but that's the only way for me to get what has become a necessity.

The pressure someone is under when they modify, is great, but the rewards are glorious. On these mono blocks, they are too small for the huge capacitors, therefore I have to figure a way to make the case larger. My reward is "sound" with absolutely no relation to money. I often wander if someone with a fat bankroll can identify the sound, or only how much they paid for each piece.

Happy listening.

orpheus10

Hello Dave, I've got all the material including the cloth, but now I have a bad case of the winter lazies; my get up and go, done got up and went.

Believe it or not, I bought this 2 inch thick, 4X8 corning insulation leaning up against the wall in the listening room, and I've got a fantastic sound stage, it seems to affect a broad range of frequencies, but not so much the base; which is just what I want.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Very glad to hear that you are pleased. Just one thing, at least drape some sheets over the fiberglass. You don't want to be breathing those fibers my friend.

Best to you o,
Dave

For anyone looking to try some diffusors, here is a link to a design I did, using as similar process as by the Arqen site (who I got the technique from).  The difference is that I optimized based on using as-bought dimensions of inexpensive board available at big box hardware stores in the USA, so there is almost no cutting needed to build (what little cutting is needed, you can usually get done by the store easily).  Quite easy to build, looks pretty decent, and performs very well

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/269366-making-easy-diy-depot-sound-diffuser-panels-step-step.html

Dave, the "sound stage" is really taking shape in my room; for the first time, it's spread across the front of the room like it's supposed to be; not favoring the left or right side.

Bwaslo, I've got a really ugly temporary absorption panel in the back of the room, and that would be a good place to try your diffusor. Thanks for the idea.