Interconnects, some have directional indicators, why?

I'm curious as to why some interconnects are directional? Is there a physical internal difference and do they generally sound better and cost more than non-directional cables? Thanks for your interest.
phd
Kijanki, thanks for the good comments about the Poynting Vector etc.

Jim, wow, the Boulder 3060 is certainly quite a monster -- 441 pounds including its 86 pound granite base, a price well north of $100K, and 6000 watts max power draw. Given the latter, it is of course designed for use with 240VAC, not 120.

Regarding your question, I doubt that anyone could provide more than a wild guess. Partly because the effects on the AC waveform of the 8 foot run you described wouldn’t seem to have a great deal of predictability, partly because those effects would seem likely to be less significant than variations in AC waveform characteristics and voltages among different locations, and partly because we don’t have detailed knowledge of the internal design of the amp. And even if we did have detailed knowledge of the amp’s design it seems quite conceivable to me that extensive tests and measurements would have to be run to pin down the specific sonic character of whatever effects might result, if any.

Best regards,
-- Al

Kijanki,

Thanks for the response.
I had already read about the Poynting vector  after you posted about it on another thread last week. I supplied the link for others reading your previous post.
Jim 
Al, (almarg),

Thanks for your response. I missed the line voltage for the amp is 240V. I went back and reread the post and sure enough the OP said it was 240V for the new amp as well.

Here is the thread. scroll down to bflowers first post on the thread.
 https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/grounding-metal-outlet-boxes-and-isolated-ground-receptacles
If you would please post your thoughts on the thread.
Jim