New Townshend Rock 7 owner

The Townshend is in transit to it's new home. I purchased this one-owner table as a package, complete w/ Funk Firm FXR ll arm, dc motor upgrade, Discovery Balanced phono cable and Brinkman PI cartridge. It come with all original boxes, manuals.

If all goes well, I should be able to get it up and running with one exception, my phono stage is not balanced. Since the original owner bought this from a respected dealer as a package, I think my best route would be to get a pair of RCA to XLR adapters in order to hear the package as close as possible as was intended.

Any thoughts on that aspect? What brand adapters would be recommended? Also, any thing I might need to know from experienced users to help with set-up? Thanks.
128x128slaw
bdp24, alonski,

One of the issues I'm running into (without even hearing it yet) is when I get the platter level, I then put my level on the arm pillar, it is off level.

This is just one aspect, (similar to using an ET arm, and thankfully I have that knowledge going in) that makes taking time at first, that benefits the actual, later experience!

Slaw
Congratulations on obtaining your Rock 7 table.  I purchased the Rock 7 2 years ago with Metlin motor upgrade and I continue to he stunned by its performance.  Damping at cartridge makes sound so much cleaner with gery natural tight bass clear highs and excellent dynamics.  Best TT setup i"ve experienced.  Interested to hear your comments concerning VPI. Good luck
Nick
Hey Slaw,

I use the original trough fluid that Max supplied, which seems to work really well for me.

As for leveling issues, I bubble-level to the platter and the arm board surface. I use the smallest, lightest bubble level because on a suspended TT like this, even the weight of the level itself can slightly affect the reading, especially if you don't have a bubble level that sits dead-center over the spindle and have to level to another spot on the platter...

The Purple Heart/ Rock 7/ Helius Omega combo is magic. I had already been floored by the Kiseki when I installed it on to my TA Excalibur 3, but not very long after that, I took a deep breath and upgraded the tonearm to the Omega. The Helius took the sound to yet another level.

Every step of the upgrade has been significantly beneficial to the sound of my system, which is all I really care about. Most audiophiles that audition my system are blown away by the ease, naturalness, and dynamics that this immersive "you are there" musical experience creates.

My analog front-end set-up is roughly $12K now, and when comparing it with other source set-ups in its price range, there is not a contender I could find. Even set-ups at five times the price have a hard time beating this ingenious cartridge-damped technology. Just throwing money at a system won't make it musical... everything needs to play together well in a synergistic way. I consider this front-end to be one of the best values in high-end audio today. it feels good to be done upgrading for now and just enjoying my music.

Just my $0.02
nsp,

I will comment on the differences at a later date. Thanks for your comments.

alonski,

I'm using a MANA bubble level. I don't see the bubble change enough when I place it on any surface for it's weight to be a factor. I'm having to make some shims out of paper to get the arm pillar level when the platter is level. What I've learned when leveling the table is to get your tt support platform level so I don't have to adjust the stock (feet/springs). Using the counterbalance weight solely for the leveling is optimal as the tt remains more stable. Almost there. I couldn't wait any longer and did a rough cartridge/alignment and quick listen. Without the cart being perfect and no trough fluid, I could hear a basis for very good things to come. The motor speed is a little fast. I believe I need a new belt. I set the motor further out that recommended to get the speed close to correct with my Timeline.

Thanks.
I thought I should go ahead and make some initial observations after some 10 hours or so of listening. This isn't a formal comparison to my VPI Classic 3 SE Sig but a small bit of insight to what I'm experiencing. This is in part due to my excitement and to document what I'm hearing initially. My phono stage isn't balanced so I cannot use the same cable to compare my two tt's.

When I switched out my VPI for the Townshend, I had been listening to my Acutex 420 STR w/ shibata stylus re-tip and then switched to the Brinkman Pi. I used my Anticables 6.2 cryo'd phono cable w/ that set-up.On the Townshend, I put on my Dynavector Karat D3 that has many hours on it. I'm using the Discovery Plus 4 here.

On my "go to" lp for system evaluation, (Shawn Colvin "Steady On"), the center image is the most focused/stable as I've ever heard. The two female vocals, when singing together are better articulated and very easy to separate individually and are more in "their own space". (this aspect continues on through every lp going forward). LP surface noise is lowered. This all brings increased transparency and a clearer overall sound. Live recordings sound more, well, (live) and a greater sense of "you are there".

On recordings with piano, the key strikes are present very clear and accurate. I'm getting a grater sense of no electronics is the signal chain.

Queen's "News Of The World"/We Will Rock You...the foot stomps and hand claps sound much more realistic and have a greater spread.

Low bass, 30hz + below is more meaningful and I get the sense that these frequencies are more "filled in".

Cheers!