If my little Bengal kitty managed to sneak under the platter when a record was playing, would the platter drop on her .... or would the spiked feet come up in backup mode and trap her ?
ct0517, I was kind of wondering that myself. My guess is the magnetism would go right through things that are not magnetic.

Geoff, vinyl has many flaws. If you do not want to sweat the details that is fine. I prefer not to add errors if I can help it personally.
"Geoff, vinyl has many flaws. If you do not want to sweat the details that is fine. I prefer not to add errors if I can help it personally."

geez, just when I was learning to put smiley faces after my posts

😢
ct0517, I was kind of wondering that myself. My guess is the magnetism would go right through things that are not magnetic.

But Sarcher - my little kitty is full of magnetism. So much so she is allowed downstairs in the rooms.But she likes strings so I fear for the drive system on my main turntable; and I think I need to put the clothes back on the Quads.

vinyl has many flaws.

Poor old record. takes a beating and keeps on ticking. It will still be ticking when we are not.
You know, I have seen the pictures and videos of the golden era, when the best vinyl was produced and is coveted by so many. The quality control team looked like my Aunt Betty and friends; and they did the best job they could. I would put more trust in them than my government. Not their fault the presses were engineered with terrible tolerances. Well, no engineer ever envisioned what an Audiophile was, or that records would fly.
They are a moving target - records - literally. They go up and down, sideways. What audiophiles do sometimes to control this makes for interesting reading. The starting grooves are the best - like a 4 lane highway; the inner grooves the smallest and tightest. What...Don’t the music engineers know this? Why do they put the best songs at the end?
And they are made of - well vinyl of course. It changes shape with temperature and you can find pieces of it on your cartridge. So the vinyl record is anything but rigid. So why would you want to mate it to a rigid dance partner?

Hit the platter and it wobbles side to side while the arm remains static. How in the world is that suppose to track without distortion and possibly skipping. Now, if they levitated the arm on a beam connected to the same plain as the platter, e.g., Rega, and it could move in accordance to the same micro and macro vibrations I might consider it.
S'what I'm say'n!