Multi-Format players of yesteryear, vs. Now

Hello good people

I have a Pioneer DV AX10 player. It is a fairly rare bird that was above Pioneer's Elite players. At the time (Ten years ago now) it was a universal player that did all formats (SACD, DVD Audio, HDCD) but is pre Blu Ray. When I bought it new, retail was 6K and I paid just under 5K.

It's built like a tank, 55lbs!, double airlock transport, shielded with 1/4" thick copper all around it, balanced outs, multi-channel surround outs. You can turn video off, digital off, etc. etc. It was touted as a true high-end machine, gunning for Sony's top-of-the-line SACD player, but adding DVD audio and a great DVD section as well. Until Blu Ray came along, I had never seen a better picture.

Now I'm finding that I'm really interested in getting back to good, engaging, two-channel sound.

I know that this is the HT spot, but I couldn't find a more appropriate forum, plus the machines that I'm looking at do HT as well so, my question:

While I've always liked the DV AX10 for music, will something like the Oppo 95 from today sound better than a super-premium unit like this, from ten years ago?

Electronics do age, and the DACS from today (Burr Browns in the AX10) should be better, yes?

Before I drop another grand or three (with mods) I want to have an educated idea about whether I'll really be stepping up.

The rest of the 2ch system is an ARC LS-16mkII, an ARC HD-220, and NHT 2.9's. Yes, I know, I might want to do something about the speakers one of these days.

Thanks guys. James
ultimatezap
I have a late 80's/early 90's Denon DCD-3520 CD player that is also built like a tank(40++ lbs) that still sounds fantastic and operates perfectly today, of course it is only a redbook CD player. Also in my possesion is an Integra DPS-10.5(same as Onkyo DV-SP1000) universal player(non BD) that is well worth the $200.00 I spent for it considering it's msrp was $2300.00. For a secondary music system in which you do not need to have BD, either of these are great choices. Main system my choice would be the Oppo 95.

Bill
Hello fellow Forumites. I thought that I'd get back to you on what I ended up doing with the DV AX-10. I thought long and hard about what direction to take. I also read quite a bit and talked to several people about various options, and finally sent it off to David Schulte at The Upgrade Company for his premier upgrade. I just got it back yesterday so I have not had too much time to listen yet, but initial impressions are that voices are fuller and richer and have a dark tinge that's really engaging. Highs are sweeter and grain and glare have all but disappeared, and the bottom is tighter and deeper. Very nice. He said to give it a few hundred hours for the new parts to burn in. Also, I always hated the flimsy fixed power cord (what was Pioneer thinking on a unit like this??!!) and a 24k gold Furutech outlet had been machined in where the old cord came out. Very Nice indeed! So, happy I am. I already had a decent Elite Bluray player, so hated to invest again. Time now to sit back and listen. Thank you again for your thoughts!
The new Oppo doesnt do 2 channel as well as a Lexicon RT10 that is 10yrs old so dont believe all the hype.