floor standing speakers for surrounds?

I am looking for options on using floor standing speakers for my back two channels instead of book shelfs. does a full range signal go to the surround channels? or would this be wasting my money?

thank you
bill
baranowski
Baranowski

If you have a receiver or preamp with room correction then start with that. I've been using Anthem gear for years. The ARC system crossed over my fronts at 60 and my surrounds at 110hz. That has to do more with the room response with the speakers than anything. So, 80 is a starting point but if you don't have room correction then you need to listen to music at different crossovers and see which sounds better. That is for the fronts. For the rears, 80 is usually excellent. Remember too that if you are listening to movies you want to send the LFE signal to the sub to allow your amp to breathe and better control your speakers above crossover. I wish I could tell you that X frequency is the magic dial but it's not that simple. If you are unsure or starting out then dial in your system at 80 and listen for a month and then you can start playing. I personally don't feel that full range all around offers significant value unless your room is really huge (35x25 and larger) and therefore you need to move more air in the room.
Mtrot is right with one addition, the crossover depends most on where your sub and fronts blend best. With music you generally want the speakers to run as full range as possible an with movies you want to supplement 80hz and below or 60hz and below with a sub. My Anthem allows me to do different crossovers between music ad movies. If your receiver or preamp allows for that ad well then I would start out with 80hz for movies and 60hz for music in your case.
I am running a pioneer elite 92txh... i bring it down to about -8 on the volume and it is way loud...well not so much way loud as the treble is crazy high and listening to movies at a higher level get a little painful to my ears when the highs hit. the receiver early heats up even after 3 hours of lord of the rings... it has the room correction... i use it.
my dedicated room is 25 by 25. concrete block with drywall inside and comercial carpet.
Dam spell correct.. i ment to write my receiver BARELY heats up even after 3 hours of the lord of the rings movie.
Waste of money. You will never get it 'right'. Check out Floyd Toole's book, 'Sound Reproduction'. He will convince you of the folly of your quest.