MMF-7 or VPI Traveler

Hello all - looking for any input on my current decision. I'm running an original MMF-7 w Grado Sonata right now and have been thinking that would be my rig until I got together the funds for a VPI Classic. But I've also been feeling lately like this tt is the weak link in my chain... and in my endless bartering and trading I've recently come into a DV 20x2... AND there is a pristine VPI traveler available close to me w V2 tonearm for a very nice price (675). I'm imagining that once I sold the mmf-7 and the project speed box I have with it I'd only be out about 150 or so on the VPI, so the money is not a big concern for me. It more boils down to the effort. Two hour round trip drive to get VPI and then the hassle of selling the mh and packing and shipping it.

So obviously I'm looking for input from people w experience of both tables. I only want to do this if the VPI is going to be a significant step up, and there are arguments pro and con to be found on the web depending on who you read. Fremer is a big proponent of the vpi and though I try not to be too swayed by the stereophile congnoscenti I usually find I agree with his opinions.

Anyway - any thoughts are appreciated. 

davelarz
Looks more like a side step to me. That said, DV carts match very well with VPI turntables......and Rega turntables (the new P3 is universally recognized as the #1 choice at this price range).  Is the 20X2 L or H output? What phono pre are you using? A better phono pre to match your recently acquired 20X2 may be all you need. The DV P-75 is an almighty bargain that matches extremely well with you DV cart. My 2 cents :-)
As an owner of a VPI Traveler V2, I think you would find this TT a big step up from your current MMF-7.  

It was for me.  My Traveler replaced a Pro-ject 5.1SE which was more similar to your Music Hall than different.  And while I enjoyed the Pro-ject, the VPI makes it feel like a plastic toy.  And the VPI really unleashed the music too with the same cartridge that I took from the Pro-ject, an Ortofon Rondo Blue.  So your DV 20x2 would be a great match for the Travelers 10" tonearm.  I am now going into my second year of flawless operation with the Traveler.

This entry level VPI has firmly put be in their camp and I doubt I would ever go back to a Music Hall/Pro-ject turntable.  Further up the VPI line though, you bet!
The VPI is a better TT. The DV is also a very good match, but you need to know if its the high or low output version. I have the low output version myself, and I would definitely buy it again. If your phono pre only works with high out carts, you'll need to replace it or get an SUT. Keep the speed control and use it on the VPI