Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
I think AOIP (audio over ethernet) is the biggie here. USB is simply terrible for audio period! I have found at my cost it is the big bottleneck to PC audio. Look at a RedNet 3 and feed it from a decent optimised PC or Mac and you are done. Beats any CDP for sure.
I think AOIP (audio over ethernet) is the biggie here. USB is simply terrible for audio period! I have found at my cost it is the big bottleneck to PC audio. Look at a RedNet 3 and feed it from a decent optimised PC or Mac and you are done. Beats any CDP for sure.
I believe that is by and large true.  However, much of the USB receiver implementation in most dacs is poor.  Proper galvanic isolation, separate power supplies, and even a batboy USB cable goes a long way.  Sonny Anderson at Phison has achieve this by and large:  http://www.phisonaudio.dk/home/  A step beyond Vitus, Merging Technologies, etc IMO.

A well designed dac should theoretically be impervious to input issues when properly engineered.