Reel to Reel tape decks

Reel to reel tape decks; I recall going with my wife, in the early 70's, in search for a new washer and dryer. This was when "Tipton", a major appliance store sold everything, including reel to reel tape decks. They were just flat out beautiful; I could picture one in my luxurious listen room done up in mahogany; tables, chairs, woodwork, everything. (in my dreams)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

As a matter of fact, there was a Pioneer deck just like the one you see pictured on this link, at that time; presently I have a Technics 2track RS 1500.

I noticed they mentioned a Teac X-2000R. Sorry folks, I don't recommend that one. I bought mine new, and it lasted for a good while, but it was not repair friendly. Even if you get a new deck, it has to be repair friendly; it's not like the old days when you could find a tech to put your specs back in harmony.

I also owned an Akai; it took months to get parts when it was new. How long do you think it would take now?

Technics people were a dream to work with; after I bought my used reel, I called them for new parts, no problem; I bought everything I could replace, that's why mine is still up to snuff. Plus it's repair friendly; I worked on mine a time or two. I'm a tech, not specifically a reel tech, but I do have the repair manual.

Inna, you evidently did your homework; I wouldn't consider anything other than a 2 track, Otari, or Technics like the one in the picture, and Studer with out a doubt, but if you can not get it repaired don't buy it, what ever it is.

That Tascam sure looks pretty; I would buy it new, if the price was right. That $200, pre recorded tape is no good if your machine is not 100% up to specs.

You can record, and playback on your own machine, and get results that are 100% good, but you're taking a chance when you get outside tape that's prerecorded.

For sure, a reel to reel can top any turntable; good luck, have fun; and as I always say;

Enjoy the music.

orpheus10
Honestly its been a longggg time ,i do believe it was a td20a .This was around 89' i also had a 3014a cassette at the time it was serious i sold my dragon for it salesmen discount 40% off lol . I was like 18-19 when i got it : )

I have my boxed reels stacked on shelves like records; but unlike most people, I just grab one down without even knowing what's on it. Today, the reel I pulled down had songs on it like "Ling Ting Tong" , "Barbara Ann", and "In The Still of The Night". This is music that was popular when I was in Jr. High, and High School. I was in no mood for reminiscing, but the music just drew me in.

That's when I got up and checked the reel; it was "Maxell" tape, that's what made the big difference. Maybe if these reels get popular again, we'll be able to get our favorite tape. How many different brands of tape are available now, does anybody know?

Happy listening.

I thought this was very interesting for guys like us who really like reel to reel. There is a reel to reel museum in Texas; I didn't know they had anything in Texas beside the biggest rattlesnakes you ever saw. (ha ha)

This link brings back a lot of memories for those who became acquainted with many different decks in years past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOyYsg7fcvE

Happy listening.
I've never had a problem with parts when restoring any machine.  That includes SONY, Otari,Pioneer, TEAC,Studer or Akai.  I didn't even have problems restoring my Crown 822.  It resides in Vietnam now.  Wish I'd kept that one.

I love em all.  If you have one tune it up. Simply amazing listening experience. 

Norman