Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
Hello Halcro,
Absolutely nothing, but first a couple of questions if I may.

as noted above, I have the AT150MLX on the DP8. I love this combo. While I know it's not optimally set up ( my Mint is on the way ), I could live right here and be happy. It does so many things well. The few things that need improvement I think will be addressed when it's aligned properly.

I used the AT extensively on my FR66 when I had it mounted on the Feickert, and loved it as well. I used an old Supex ( I think ) headshell that was light and mated well. I never heard anything amiss from that combo.

So my question is this.

Since I don't have any biases against using a MM in either the FR or the Moerch, do you think the set-up you suggest would up the ante over the AT. I know I'm asking something very subjective, but I know you have a lot of experience with them.

I started taking a look at the various FR cartridges, but I've got a lot of studying to do. I'll keep at it.

One last question. A few years back I nuded a Denon DL103r, mounted it on an aluminum plate and had Soundsmith put their best ruby cantilever/stylus on it. Sounded pretty good, but apparently late night listening sessions and more than one martini make strange bedfellows. It never had a chance to break in before I snapped the cantilever, so I'm sure better was to come.

Again, I know I'm asking something very suggestive, but do you think here is any merit to upgrading the Denon ? I have a 103r here and the Midas body, and could send it to Soundsmith for upgrading.

Or do you think I should seriously pursue the MM cartridge set-up you recommend over the AT, and forget about upgrading the Denon and go after the FR7 ?

Thanks Halcro,                            Crazy Bill

P.S. Actually, I would welcome any comments from anyone who has experience with the above.
Hi Crazy Bill,
FWIW....my two cents on your specific questions......
I haven't heard the AT150MLX but I have the AT-150ANV (which incidentally beat the Atlas and 6 other cartridges in a Fremer readers' shoot-out) 😎
I've heard only hesitation from those who do own the 150MLX and in the absence of enthusiasm....there must be doubt?
Even my new 150ANV, whilst good.....does not have the 'magic' or emotion of the really good vintage MMs I love.
Many make the mistake of thinking that a move to a high-cost LOMC cartridge will change their listening experiences....
This is rarely the case and I have met no audiophile who can tell the difference between a MM and a MC under a controlled 'blind' test.
Most of my favourite cartridges are MM (all vintage) but there are some LOMCs (mostly vintage) which I also highly value.
I have a Denon 103R (with selected equal-channel output) and whilst it is great value for its modest price.....it is easily bested by the modified  Shure V15/III
I have both Fidelity Research MM cartridges and LOMC.
The FR-6SE is better than the FR-5 or 5E IMO (although Jonathan Carr likes the 5E).
I have an original FR-7f which did not impress me greatly with its new conical stylus.
When Axel replaced it with a line-contact stylus however....it transformed it and is now one of my favourite cartridges 😘
If you are hell-bent on a MC cartridge.....why not buy an SPU Silver Meister directly from Ortofon ?
With your FR-66S tonearm......this is a combination that is sure to put a smile on your face 😍
Regards

OK Halcro,
I'll give it a shot ( Shure/Jico).

It'll take a few weeks to get it here and going. Once I'm happy with the setup I'll listen and let you know what I think.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,                     Crazy Bill
Hello Halcro,
So much for a few weeks.
Decided to stick with Ebay and PayPal, as I have some leverage if something is amiss.

Here's where I'm at:

These coming:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262667268841

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122091675405

These OK, or did I mess it up ?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,               Crazy Bill