Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Butler,  One last thought.  My HAPZ1 is a ModWright version, with a second isolated tube rectifier that provides DC to the analogue section.  This being the case, your results might very well be different than mine.  It might be safest to start with 2 fuses and send one back if you don't hear a difference.  Since we don't really know exactly what these fuses service, it is hard to say if a stock HAPZ1 will give the same results as my ModWright version.
Good point Brownsfan, I figured when you mentioned Dan that your's was modified, so I'll experiment with 2 fuses to see what is what, thanks for the clarification.  Since you mentioned it, was the MW mod worth it, and do you happen to know the cost for updating an existing unit?

davidpritchard,

I've just scored a used FEQ today for a very good price of USD 580. As you have one of this in your system, could you kindly describe what it does and the improvements you get from this unit?

I would most likely be collecting it next week.

Butler,  The ModWright work was absolutely worth it.  I bought the HAPZ1 and used it long enough to get it burned in well before I sent it off. I made some pretty detailed notes on some music that was well known to me, so I did have a good point of reference for the stock vs. Modded versions.  The current listing is $2995 for the mod.  Dan occasionally runs specials where he discounts modifications at times when business is slow.  Discounts are deep enough to be worth waiting for.  If you decide to do this, shoot me an email and I can give you my thoughts on upgrade options, tubes, power cords etc.
Well, Brownsfan, that is very interesting. The HAPZ1 already performs at a decent level, I’ve found it equal to a Berkeley DAC/Sim Moon transport combo in my system, which kind of shocked me. If it can be made to improve upon that performance level to a good degree, then that is definitely something that I will consider. Appreciate your input and kind offer to provide further insights if I choose to go that away. May take you up on the offer in the near future…...