Dazed and Confused - Upgrading System But Too Many Options!

Help! I am upgrading my stereo and just have too many options. Every time I think I have it figured out I go down another rabbit hole. I’ll start by saying what I have.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9
Amp: B&K ST2140
Preamp: Rotel RC980BX
CD: Arcam CD72
Phono: Rega P3

I have settled on the KEF LS-50 monitors. I am looking to add a network media streamer and either a new preamp or integrated amp.

So to keep this short, I see these as my main options:
  • Do I get an integrated amp like Rega Elex-R, Creek Evolution 50A/100A with a Ruby DAC or something else?
  • Do I leave off the Ruby DAC and get a streamer like Cambridge Audio CXN?
  • Do I forget about both of the above and get a Cambridge Azur 851N that is a preamp and solid media streamer?
  • Do I keep my B&K and just get a new preamp and media streamer (leaning toward Cambridge CXN)? I really like the B&K and think it’s very solid but then I would need to get another amp to power the Paradigms in the basement. 
  • Do I say “screw it all” and just get a PS Audio Sprout?

My listening style of late has been headphones on my Android phone but I want to return to where I was BC (before children). The monitor speakers will be better for listening anywhere on the main floor, not just in the sweet spot. I plan to convert my CD collection to FLAC (currently it’s all 320 kbps mp3). So I have some work to do but I need to make it easier for me to listen to music at home and upgrade the quality.

I know I rambled on, so if you made it this far, thanks for reading through.

Ken
treebeard1
Trutopia,
Sounds like you got a great system for a steal. I have not had much luck on Craigslist. Mostly old Sony receivers. I will continue to buy used, especially for my 2nd system and maybe speaker cables.

Phil,
I'm sold on CA. There's always the vocal minority with a gripe, especially companies with higher sales. I think it's a quality product.

I plan on getting new interconnects and possibly new speaker cable down the road. One thing at a time. Right now I'm leaning towards the 851W/851N combo. However the dealer shot me a pretty good quote for some KEF R500s.  In that case I would keep the B&K and go with the R500/851N combo. I will try to get a demo on the speakers and then pick my path.

Gdnrbob,
He's a one man shop and I need to make an appointment in case he's installing a system. I will bring this up to him when I set up the speaker demo. There is only one more shop in town and they sell the Atoll. Otherwise I need to drive a couple hours to demo a Parasound Halo. I'm sold on the 851N though.

Thanks again for the input everyone. 

Ken
Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I posted.  I have definitely been remiss in my posting responsibilities.  I have made my purchase.  this is how it went down.

I demoed the KEF R300s at his house but there was no one within a few hundred miles that had any CA to listen to.  I liked the R300s but decided I needed to just get the 851N for now and keep my Monitor 9s and B&K ST2140.  My plan was to audition several bookshelves at home later.  Once I told him that he offered me a deal on the R300s and stands that I just could not pass down.  So I'm a proud new owner of a CA 851N and KEF R300s.  So far I am really liking it.  It is light years ahead of my old pre. My monitor 9s never sounded so good once I hooked them up to the 851N.

I'm still investigating an amp replacement down the road (sooner rather than later).  The B&K can then go downstairs with the Monitor 9s on the basement stereo.   

One thing I noticed when I compared the Monitor 9s to the R300s was that the Monitor 9s had better bass and more detail.  The detail surprised me.  But the soundstage was much wider on the R300s and at high volume the midrange was smother and clearer.  The monitor 9s actually sounded a little distorted on the vocals at high volume.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my next amp will be, maybe a 851A or 851W but there are so many others to choose from in that price range.  I guess I don't really need the analog pre anymore.  Can't wait for the next upgrade.  Oh, I also got a pair of Tributary Series 8 balanced cables.  Not sure where they stand in the overall scheme of things but I know they are better than the old RCA cables I had.

Thanks to everyone for your help.  There is a lot of information to navigate in the world of high-end audio!

Ken 
Congrats on your new purchases! I would 'stay pat' and not be in any hurry to replace the B&K amp. Enjoy and let the new pre and speakers break in. With experience gained listening to your 'new system' you will better be able to define the improvements you are looking for with any future upgrades.