Martin Logan CLS "Buyer's Guide" Question

I’ve wanted a set of Logan CLS’s since I first heard them back in the 1980’s and would like to start looking for a pair, but could use some help to know for sure that I’d be buying a good set. Would you guys please opine on these concerns?

- What do I look for in a decent set to avoid a ’lemon’?
- What is the difference in characteristics between ’generations’ of CLS (I, Ia, II, IIa, IIz...)
- How can I identify which generation of CLS I’m dealing with, and how important is it?
- Would there be any concern about age of panels, or if the panels are replacements?
- Would you recommend a different model of ML speaker, and if so - which one, and why?

My current equipment is:
McIntosh C28 (presently in use)
Krell KRC-3 (inbound...)
Bryston 4BST
Dahlquist DQ10
Polk PSW650

I hope to replace the DQ10s in favor of the Logan’s, but it’s helpful to know what I’m getting into beforehand, to avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks in advance!

parabolic
@parabolic...you mentioned above that the speakers had upgraded II electronics.  The panels do seem to be the I series.  If you can get the serial numbers on the electronics, I can tell you what they are, unless the serial numbers were never changed to reflect the II series upgrade.

If it were me, I would walk away.  Correct CLS II speakers do pop up for sale.  Not quite as much as in the past, but still every so often.  I just am against mixing I & II panels and electronics.  They just don't sound right, if you know what they are supposed to sound like anyway.
I was told S# 2502/2503 (sequential).

What would be the danger if I were to buy this set now (because they are becoming somewhat rare) and later purchased the II panels at some point in the future?

How long would you say I might be able to run them, given the 19 year old stators?

What would you think is a fair price, under the circumstances?

Should I be looking at getting a newer generation pair of Logans (i.e. Theos) instead of screwing around with the CLS in the first place?
Those serial numbers would make them original CLS electronics.  Can't be sure unless I saw pictures of the insides, if they were modified/updated or not.

IMHO, the panels are already do for replacement.  You could sure use them, but you wouldn't be hearing them at full capability.

I wouldn't pay more than around $600-$800 for them.  It would also depend on what shape the frames are in and if the seller has the boxes and packaging for them.

The newer model Martin Logans are somewhat easier to setup and drive.  They have integrated the woofer with the panel much better than the earlier models, (the CLS is, of course, a full range speaker).

Still there is a definite "magic" about the CLS series that nothing short of the CLX or the mega expensive Neolith can match.  Once you hear them setup properly and driven with enough juice, they are hard to forgot.  Just like your first encounter with them back in the 80's.  That's why you're here at this juncture...correct?
That's why you're here at this juncture...correct?
At this juncture, I'm beginning to think I need to have my head examined.  ;-)

I've been wanting a set of CLSII's for years.  It's taken me this long to be able to afford to do so, because it's not just the speakers, but the rest of the system, that starts getting expensive.  You need an amp powerful enough to drive them, and a preamp clean enough to not make your ears bleed.  That equipment is far more costly than most folks expect to spend on a 'stereo'.  It was only recently - in the last couple months - that I've finally saved enough and been patient enough to stumble on the Bryston/Krell combo.

The seller claims that the electronics were upgraded by a local ML dealer, though if he's as mistaken about that as he is with the panels, it does give me a moment of pause.

I was prepared to drive 9 hours each way to buy 'em, but the asking price is more than you indicate and though they look by the photograph to be in very good condition, it's a LONG time to spend in a car and a LOT of money to lay out.

I'll probably beg off and wait it out.  My set of Dahlquist DQ10's don't suck, so I guess I'll just have to struggle through, until what I really want comes my way.

Thanks for all your help!!!
I think you're probably better off waiting also.  The right pair will come around.  The last couple pair of  IIZ's that I've seen were around $1200-$1500 dollars in excellent condition.

You're quite welcome and if you have any other questions or need any additional help, just let me know.