2A3 Tube Opinions

Looking to add a pair of 2A3's for my amps that are full/meaty leaning towards the vintage sound.  Currently running EML Solid Plates and love them, but looking for more weight to the sound.  Thanks for any advice.
arthursmuck

arthursmuck:

Most of the nos tubes will have a thicker, denser, sound due to a less extended high end. My RCA's sound nice. Another approach is to reduce grain and glare by upgrading the amp's fuse to a Synergistic Research Black fuse and the wall outlet to a Oyaide R-1 or a SR RED or BLACK. TheOyaide has a darker sound. The SR outlets provide a sense of more music and richer denser harmonics.

David Pritchard

Hi Arthur,
I must admit that I find your system and various amplifiers oh so interesting 😊.  Does your Found Music 2A3 amplifier drive the Tannoys full range? What a sonic  (I assume) contrast to the esteemed Dartzeel amplifier. You must be having a ball. I love the EML XLS 300b in my amplifiers. 
Charles, 
Arthur,
A good source of NOS/used quality 2A3s is Vacuumtubes.com.  They have single plate,dual plates, dua filaments etc.
Charles, 
Engraved base/black glass Ken-Rad 2a3’s with dual flat plates are by far the fattest/fullest sounding 2a3 tube I’ve tried.

I usally run RCA dual/black plates, but the Ken-Rads are a nice change now and then.