Moving to Singapore. Help needed

I appreciate some help with my present situation.

I will be relocating to Singapore later this year, and was advised several times that speakers, receivers and amplifiers are SIGNIFICANTLY more affordable in the US. As shipping will be borne by my company, I wonder it'll make sense to assemble a set here and ship them over. I understand the electrical system is different in Singapore (220-240v), compared to 110-120v here.

My specific questions:
1. Is it possible to get 220-240v amplifiers/receivers in the US? Is there any specific brand that either carries models that support the 220-240v or allows one to tweak 110-120v to 220-240v easily? I am not very keen on a transformer, as they are generally bulky and will avoid them if I could.

2. Do the differences in electrical supply have any bearing on the performance of speakers?

3. I understand Iphone/Mac users can stream music to their receiver using AirPlay or adding an Airport Express; so far only Pioneer supports AirPlay (as far as I know). Is this true? Is it possible to play music through my Iphone/Ipad/laptop on these systems with no AirPlay compatibility? Appreciate if you could share some of your experience here.

4. An 804 diamond currently retails at $7500, while used 804S and 804d are selling for much less. Is the price difference really worth the sound quality? I spend time listening to vocals, jazz and instrumentals.

Many thanks for your time to ease my audiophilic dilemma.

SP
av_enthusiast
Haven't been there since '92, but I can tell you everything that you've ever wanted can be had seen in almost one building...the "Adelphi". Used as well as new items are for sale and at lower prices.
I used early nineties, switchable Threshold separates while living on 220/240. Inside a compartment in the power amp's rear panel was an ingenious little circuit board that could be inserted four ways. Likewise the preamp's separate power supply had a rotating drum which displayed its voltage setting thru a cutout. The switchable gear is out there but sorry no specific recommendations. Here are some additional considerations:

1. If you take your USA configured turntable with you, moving to a country with 50Hz may make it play at the wrong speed.

2. If you get other gear that's switchable between 120 and 240, remember to halve the line fuse values whilst running it on 240. Fuses downstream from the transformer can stay the same.

3. When you get there, go to the hardware store for wall plugs to reterminate your power cords as necessary. Disassemble an existing, native plug to learn the power cord color codes.

4. Frys electronics has a compact converter/inverter that you can use on either side. It is about the size of an automotive battery charger or half a loaf of Wonder bread. It costs less than $50. I used one to power a USA configured Nakamichi cassette deck. The deck worked well on 50Hz. The converter/inverter performed quietly on 240 with the deck but was noisy while powering 240 hair straighteners in the USA.
The speakers will perform the same on either supply, unless they are internally powered. Whether the newer models of a line are worth the difference cannot be answered by anyone save you. I suspect I myself might like the older ones better as I find most metal dome tweeters too "hot" and supposedly the improvement in the diamond line was to increase the treble but you may have a totally different take on it. US made products will be cheaper here but European or Asian ones may not be.
I currently live in Shanghai, but have also lived in Hong Kong and Taipei. So I know the hassle of moving audio equipment.

I suggest that you dump all your current U.S. equipment, and upgrade in Singapore as this will be a great excuse for doing so! I believe Singapore has very little, if any, import duties, as it is a free port, like Hong Kong. So new and second-hand price should be about the same as those in U.S.

In fact, do a search on Audiogon for Singapore
"http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?ZIPC=singapore" and you will see that second hand prices are comparable to those of U.S., and there are a lot of dealers. I suggest that you contact them, and visit their stores.

Singapore is an extremely wealthy "little" country. Last I read was it has the highest percentage of millionaire households, with at least 30% of its households having net assets (other than their primary residence, which are all most likely at least US$1 million since real estate is incredibly expensive in many places in Asia) of at least US$1 million. You will be very surprised at how many people are into high-end audio in Singapore and Asia in general, and what they can afford... So finding what you want should not be too difficult.

Of course, your second option could be to send the equipment back to manufacturer to have the voltage reset, and this will be a hassle and will cost you in service charge and shipping.

In any case, good luck with your move. You will definitely find a lot of audio fanatics in Singapore too!
For such a small place(26 miles long), it packs a lot of audio equipment, great weather(right on the Equator)and some of the most interesting looking women anywhere(saw a girl with bronze skin, pewter colored hair and blue eyes!).