Upgrade Opinions, Thorens vs VPI

I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a better turntable.

My current setup is a Thorens TD166 MKII with the original tp11 tonearm. The table has a few mods including a solid cherry plinth and birch bottom with sorbothane feet. It also came with the 10mm spindle bearing, same one used on the TD160.

Amp: Rogue audio Sphinx 
Preamp: MM preamp built into the Sphinx
Cartidge: Shure M97xe with SAS stylus
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8

The components listed above are my recent upgrades. I now think my table is due for an upgrade. 

I am considering installing a Jelco SA750D tonearm on my Thorens, since the tonearm is likely the weakest performing part of the table, or going with a completely new table.

I am considering the following tables:

Rega Planar 3 (possibly not a big leap?)

Rega RP8

VPI Classic 1 

Acoustic Signature Wow XL with Rega arm.

I am leaning toward the VPI, partly because I really like its look, but I do want the best sounding table under $3000 (subjective I know). Overall, I'm pleased with the current sound from my Thorens, so maybe the best bang for my buck would be a new tonearm. Some members have claimed that a Debut Carbon will blow the doors of a TD166, but in my personal experience, it's the opposite. So I'm thinking I'd probably need to spend over 1K for a real sonic upgrade over my Thorens.

Anyone have experience with VPI tables versus Thorens TD16X series? Any advice is welcome.
helomech
BTW, upgrading the arm on your 166 will make a substantial improvement in its sound. The Jelco is an excellent choice. I went that path and completed modded out a 166. The 166 matched the level of performance of my WTRP, which I then sold.

Since then I have modded a TD 850 and a TD 150. Both completely pushed to the max. I can easily say that both would give any table a run for their money.

That being said.......if I wasn't  into modding things and creating jems of my own liking I would go with The VPI Classic.  I've played with a Rega 3, and while it has potential it is not realized in its stock form.
The Classic is, on the other hand, a nearly complete product that really only needs speed stabilization to get you to the end. 

Also, since a smart shopper can pick one up used at a very good price, it is a no-brain move.

I can't see how you would be disappointed with the Classic. But, as advised elsewhere, buy the best phono-stage and cartridge you can afford. Spend first on the phono-stage since there are a lot of great affordable options in cartridges.
Raymonda,

WTRP, are you referring to a Well Tempered? 

I am leaning toward the Jelco tonearm, partly because my TD166 is in beautiful condition and I think I'd forever wonder what could've been if I didn't maximize its potential. 

I also have a Pioneer PLX1000 with a modified (shibata) Clearaudio MM cart. It has very comparable performance to my Thorens with the exception of its direct drive momentum.

I currently use the preamp built into my Rogue Audio Sphinx, which many claim can compete with most preamps under 1k. It is better than my Parasound Z-Phono which is also quite respectable. 

The Classic 1 would obliterate a Thorens regardless of arm......
I've owned both, currently have a VPI HR-X

Currently, the greatest bang for buck in the VPI line would be the Prime....which for very little $ over the C1 would give you:
3D Arm (same as Classic Signature)
VTA Adjustment (which would required C2 to achieve)

Yes, I was referring to the Well Tempered Record Player.

Yes, it is fun modding and pushing classic tables to their max. You get your hands dirty, have more skin in the game and end up with something personal. Besides, it is alot of fun, too.

Right now I'm listening to my maxed out 150 with a Michell Tecnoarm arm and modded Denon 103. This table will tell you what your cartridge is doing, both the good and bad. It's fun shaping out the Denon for either of my modded Benz cartridges. It certainly give me a different window to view through.

My td850 has a current audiomods arm which is handing what my benz m.9 delivers. It has carbon fiber boards and a origin live motor. This table plays as well as any VPI. That is not to talk down VPI, as I feel that make great tables but rather to point out that there are alternative paths to get you there.

That being said, the 160 series can bring a great deal of fun but it does have limits to how far it can go. However, replacing the stock arm will get a great deal more out of the table.  

What ever way you end up going you are asking all the right questions and going in the right direction.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm about 90% set on going the route of continuing to mod the Thorens. However, I do enjoy really deep bass, and I've read that even the best sprung turntables never excel in that respect.