Upgrade Opinions, Thorens vs VPI

I'm looking to possibly upgrade to a better turntable.

My current setup is a Thorens TD166 MKII with the original tp11 tonearm. The table has a few mods including a solid cherry plinth and birch bottom with sorbothane feet. It also came with the 10mm spindle bearing, same one used on the TD160.

Amp: Rogue audio Sphinx 
Preamp: MM preamp built into the Sphinx
Cartidge: Shure M97xe with SAS stylus
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8

The components listed above are my recent upgrades. I now think my table is due for an upgrade. 

I am considering installing a Jelco SA750D tonearm on my Thorens, since the tonearm is likely the weakest performing part of the table, or going with a completely new table.

I am considering the following tables:

Rega Planar 3 (possibly not a big leap?)

Rega RP8

VPI Classic 1 

Acoustic Signature Wow XL with Rega arm.

I am leaning toward the VPI, partly because I really like its look, but I do want the best sounding table under $3000 (subjective I know). Overall, I'm pleased with the current sound from my Thorens, so maybe the best bang for my buck would be a new tonearm. Some members have claimed that a Debut Carbon will blow the doors of a TD166, but in my personal experience, it's the opposite. So I'm thinking I'd probably need to spend over 1K for a real sonic upgrade over my Thorens.

Anyone have experience with VPI tables versus Thorens TD16X series? Any advice is welcome.
helomech
I don't get it. The first job of a turntable is to spin the LP at accurate speed and then to hold speed despite any effects of stylus drag, etc. What I don't get is how any turntable that fails noticeably (a big qualifier) in these tasks is acceptable, at these price points. Anyway, that's what you're looking for in a turntable.
I run my Thorens with a music hall cruise control. It seems to run at the correct speed (checked by strobe disc) when the controller reads 33.5 rpm.

I agree that any table in that price range should hold perfect speed without an outboard controller.

There's almost too many options in turntables these days. Unfortunately I don't have a means of auditioning them locally. 
All thorens require 33.5 to run at the correct speed using the cruise control. 

BTW, upgrading the arm on your 166 will make a substantial improvement in its sound. The Jelco is an excellent choice. I went that path and completed modded out a 166. The 166 matched the level of performance of my WTRP, which I then sold.

Since then I have modded a TD 850 and a TD 150. Both completely pushed to the max. I can easily say that both would give any table a run for their money.

That being said.......if I wasn't  into modding things and creating jems of my own liking I would go with The VPI Classic.  I've played with a Rega 3, and while it has potential it is not realized in its stock form.
The Classic is, on the other hand, a nearly complete product that really only needs speed stabilization to get you to the end. 

Also, since a smart shopper can pick one up used at a very good price, it is a no-brain move.

I can't see how you would be disappointed with the Classic. But, as advised elsewhere, buy the best phono-stage and cartridge you can afford. Spend first on the phono-stage since there are a lot of great affordable options in cartridges.
Raymonda,

WTRP, are you referring to a Well Tempered? 

I am leaning toward the Jelco tonearm, partly because my TD166 is in beautiful condition and I think I'd forever wonder what could've been if I didn't maximize its potential. 

I also have a Pioneer PLX1000 with a modified (shibata) Clearaudio MM cart. It has very comparable performance to my Thorens with the exception of its direct drive momentum.

I currently use the preamp built into my Rogue Audio Sphinx, which many claim can compete with most preamps under 1k. It is better than my Parasound Z-Phono which is also quite respectable.