Does a sub need to be on the floor?

I live on the top floor of a small apartment building.  A sub on the floor would be tough on my neighbors but no one lives above us.  Do people put subs on shelves? 

I don't listen to music all that loud.  Usually the loudest thing I listen to is TV/Entertainment.

And I'm not a huge bass head so I can't imagine ever even wanting a large sub.  Maybe a small 8" one.

I don't have new mains yet - I'm still shopping and so far and like the small bookshelf models (so far without subs) such as Sierra 2's.

Thx
wolfernyc
Doh, I meant to type:

"Quick answer, sure, you can raise it off the floor or even put it on furniture."

Best,

Erik
Oleschool, thank you.
Wall mounts for subs, right. Question is how many of them? Depends on desired impact, I guess.
Wolfernyc, there are many very good speakers with 6.5" - 8" woofer(s). If you choose monitors you will need good stands and good coupling to the stands and to the floor. Personally, I just like floorstanders, maybe because I simply got used to them, or maybe because they often have a greater volume compared to monitors. This does matter too.

Spend your max budget on your spkrs. Then match the electronics to them get the subs later jmho
thx all.  but I'm betting most of you never lived under a dude with a subwoofer! I did in my last apartment and it is incredibly annoying. 

Amazing how expensive some of those subs are.