Getting New Panasonic ST30 Plasma TV

Hi, getting a new Panasonic 46 inch. What should I be aware of with a new plasma? As far as setup and play is concerned, are there any do's and dont's? Any of you have experience with one of the 2011 Panasonic plasma tv's? Thanks
foster_9
Chadnliz and Learsfool, thanks for the advice. Still learning. Curious, what's the typical fee for a prof calibration, if I go that route?
$300ish and if you get right diy disc or good eyes its a questionable
value.
My calibration I think cost somewhere in the $200 range, it was mostly for the guy's time, as it did take quite a while. I could now do it myself, but I would say that it was a very good value, as I would not have known how to go about it previously, and although it looked good before, the improvement afterwards was much more than I would have thought. I would highly recommend it.
Certified ISF calibration will cost approximately $200. It's done with a sensor attached to the screen and ISF software is used with a laptop to achieve multiple levels of calibration depending on the panels setup capabilities. Using a disc player to calibrate a display has obvious limitations which is why ISF calibration is not DIY.

Any panel should be run in for a few months before calibration. LCD/LED's generally have their brightness set at their maximum out of the box. My Pioneer Elite plasma was very close to correct calibration.

A few years ago I compared and inexpensive Blue Jeans (Belden cable) to a top of the line Audio Quest HDMI and couldn't discern any difference between the two. This may have changed since then.
I just purchased the Panasonic GT55. It has a calibrated THX certified setting. It looks much better than the other modes. With this setting would I still need ISF calibration?
By the way I am very happy with this set so far. I have not purchased a 3D DVD player yet. I purchased it for 3D and to watch regular tv. I was going through a bulb every year or so watching tv on the big screen.