What's the deal with idler turntables and do they have a place in modern HiFi?

After going through a complete overhaul of an AR XA I've been tempted to take a step further back in history and restore an old Rek-O-Kut idler turntable. Can't remember the particular model number from Craigslist, but it seems like it may be an interesting project and far more customizable than the XA, especially when it come to the tonearm. The one I'm looking at comes with the original tonearm, but my guess is that it's even more garbage than the stock XA 'arm and I'd certainly replace it!

However, I don't generally become invested in something if it doesn't pay off. So if the sound is going to be dreadful because it's an idler, then I'll steer clear. But if the sound is bitchin' then I'll jump on the opportunity!
128x128mjperry96

I invested in a Jean Nantais Lenco, Idler drive, $10k.

In comparison: CD's are unlistenable, SACD and Hi-res aren't bad, DSD downloads are better, vinyl eclipse all of the above, and not by a little bit.

Your miles will not vary. But, stay away from re-issues.

I own a Artisan Fidelity Lenco Idler drive and it put to shame my modern belt drive table.  Go listen to a well restored idler drive table and make your own decision.

Since you obviously enjoy restoring vintage equipment I expect you will enjoy the idler restoration project as well. These tables are in high demand and prices for a Rek-O-Kut or Garrard 301 will very likely not come down - so your project should be a good investment. Once you experienced the sound characteristics of a good idler drive you will not want to give them up again. And you will be able to listen for these qualities in other designs. Either way, you can only win. I did the same with a Garrard 301 and learned a lot about the importance of the drive system in regards to sound. Even though I ended up replacing the Garrard, I knew what sound characteristics I was looking for. But you may very well stay with your Rek-O-Kut, if the weaknesses of the idler drive system don’t bother you. I’d say go for it!