Why do I keep torturing myself with remasters?

I am really beginning to believe these 180 remasters are mixed for a 500.00 system.It seems every one I buy it's either super bright,or has an ass load of bass in all the wrong places.The Bowie i have the soundstage is all wacked out .I have a decent setup but i can't imagine how much more obvious it must be on a serious setup.I can say the Yes fragile I got lately (cut fromt he original tapes) sounds pretty good ,Zeppelin In thru the outdoor Yikes! so bright waste of 25.00 again..... 
128x128oleschool
Bitches Brew by Miles Davis reissue from Mo-Fi is no good. I have original American 2 eye Columbia and original Japanese. You can't compare. Besides, vinyl itself looks like it's hundred years old.
Comparing original American and Japanese, Japanese is quieter and more refined, American is somewhat more raw. Overall dynamics is about equal. I like them both, they just sound a little different.

I can only speak about CD or SACD- I tend to not buy the remasters.

I will suggest that both the Van Halen remasters and Rod Stewart remasters are very good on CD. For SACD, the recent batch of Mobile Fidelity (MoFi) are having very good/positive reviews.

I was born in 1960, so I was buying records when I was a kid. The whole industry has changed so much over time! I had 45s just to hear your favorites; gave you the essence of the song. The "HiFi" industry was growing and getting better too. Quality control was very much a problem then? Mastering, Pressing, Virgin/recyle vinyl all of that was very subjective? I loved Japanese imports starting about 1980. I loved the Original Master MFSL pressing mid to late 70s. I love the Brand new Beatles Mono "Remaster" same as New "Pet Sounds" 200 gram stereo. IMHO; Early on, I believe that the original mix was to have LP records sound good. When CDs came out they were "Remastered" for CDs to sound good?? Now you have two schools of "Remastering". Different tools, different ears and different accountants are all involved with "Remastering" now? I try everything and make my own evaluations. I have spent a lot of time, effort and money in finding THE record I want to keep for my personal collection. Forums like this are helpful. There just seems to be no set standard to insure you get a record that is truly great? That has always been the Record seeking problem; in my quest for vinyl bliss in the sweet spot on my couch.
Two best remasters on cd that I heard were original MFSL 'Inner Mounting Flame' by Mahavishnu Orchestra and JVC XRCD Getz/Gilberto. I am sure there are many more especially Japanese. That MFSL is in fact the most analog-like sounding cd I ever heard, actually better in most aspects than original American LP pressed on recycled vinyl. If they could manage one recording, most or all recordings could be managed as well. And I am quite certain there are still people in the know who know how to do it. But almost everything is mass-market now, often even so-called high end. Who wants to go extra mile let alone two? 
Bill: Is your after the Gold Rush an Artisan? Have been looking but I've never seen one in my travels here in Canada but do have a friend with an Artisan copy and it really does sound fabulous and quite a bit better than other early/earlier pressings which I've heard.