Equipment Rack

Does it make sense to spend several thousands of dollars on a equipment rack, if Stillpoints are used under every component?
ricred1
Post removed 
I've sat back and watched this thread roll along..I feel a need to respond to the conversation.I have a hard time understanding the constant banter and nit picking of everyones choices here on the gon .People come here to converse and share ideas and there experiences with products or music.I play a Paul Reed Smith guitar. We could argue all day as to why I prefer a specific pickup.I could have someone explain till the cows come how why the winding is better,This I know I prefer my McCarty pickups,because I have tried hundreds of guitars.My point is "What does it do in MY system"?. One guy raves over blue jean cables "oh there great" ..well dam sure not in my system, tried them and many others.I use Acoustic Zen because they sound good in my setup( and were not 25k) the difference is clearly noticable .I can say I have had atleast an hour long conversation with Robert at Starsound .I emailed him and he called me at home to answer my questions.We talked at great length about Star sound,music and being musicians.Never did he pressure me, actually he offered me a chance to try his products for my guitar amps and home audio.I find it interesting that he has offered a plane ticket or open ended chance to try his gear to a few here.Even a in house visit but that is snake oil ?  To try it in your own system with the product owner there?.He was very respectful and offered alot of options from less expensive to thru the roof money.I am in the process of trying some of his products.Proof is in the pudding to this guy, will it make a difference? There are many who say it does and also many who say geoffs springs do too!.Whatever works for you and your budget.

I have nothing personal against Robert and indeed he appears to be a nice guy...and maybe even a 'good' guy.
What I object to, is the use of 'voodoo' science to prop up some ill-defined theory in audio.
There is so much in this hobby of ours that is unable to be currently explained by science...not that there's anything wrong with that.
You don't see or hear Ted Denney of Synergistic Research trying to explain his weird and wonderful contraptions with 'voodoo' science.
He can't and doesn't even attempt it. He says...."try it free of obligation and if it doesn't work for you, we'll refund your money in its entirety".
Put me behind a concert reinforcement system (FOH or monitor mix) or sit me down in any recording studio and I will show you and teach you what good sound is and what all that mumbo jumbo is all about. Invite me to your house and I will help show you where your system might be lacking and physically demonstrate how to improve upon it. I will also point out your system’s strengths and am also fairly accomplished with the acoustic sciences and applications as well. That is my science - the science of sound.

This is what you should have been saying from the start Robert.
Please stay away from the perceived pressure to justify yourself 'scientifically'..🤓  
Good luck....
Just to be clear I never said Robert’s product(s) doesn’t work or is/are ineffective or any such thing. My argument has to do with explanations of what vibration isolation is and what can be done to ameliorate it. It would certainly be a BIG MISTAKE to take the view, as Robert does, that because seismic vibrations, because their frequencies being generally below 20 Hz, I.e., BELOW the audible frequency range, that they can be dismissed as UNIMPORTANT. I am a physicist (theoretical propulsion and fluid dynamics a + ) with 20 years developing vibration isolation devices for audiophiles, including my erstwhile 6 degree of freedom 0.5 Hz resonant frequency Nimbus Unipivot which, if you can believe it, employs a single narrow air spring with very high internal pressure, technically almost impossible to construct. A little like trying to balance a large cinder block on a rubber pencil. But I can get 0.5 Hz performance. "What does LIGO have to do with audiophiles?" Best line of the thread.

As I have maintained over the course of this thread BOTH the vibrations on the top plate from various sources AND the seismic forces from various sources - Earth motion, traffic, etc. MUST BE ADDRESSED for optimum results. Of course, one can acheive good - though not optimal - results by choosing only ONE SOLUTION. It all depends on what you’re trying to achieve and where you get off. Even for seismic isolation there is no perfect solution since almost all such devices are mechanical low pass filters and because most do not address all 6 directions of isolation. I have always addressed both solutions and still do, by the way. Even the Nimbus incorporated dual symmetrical damping of the top plate.

As Shannon Dickson opined in his watershed article Bad Vibes, the first and one of the best tutorials on vibration isolation, in particular the details of the just introduced Vibraplane iso stand, published in Stereophile Magazine twenty years ago, "the only good vibration is a dead vibration."

cheers,

geoff kait
machina dynamica

I am not a scholar of vibration so i just can’t comment,I respectfully digress to the pros.I think as many there is a point of diminishing return and it really becomes whats the ’hot thing" .I can say some tweeks most certainly work period,others I think may on a serious setup.I remember when tip toes,vpi bricks etc etc came out I was a saleman people thought I was out of my mind.

Geoff
I can say as a "Novice" of vibration I find it a stretch to understand how a tone through my phone will inprove my system.But i do not discredit it because it may do just that.If you remember a thread I asked " Hey guys send me springs and starsound platform I will put them under my tube guitar amp and my various audio gear and I will give an honest answer( I know niether of you need my approval).You didnt respond Robert did,I do believe your springs work they are proven throught the world .I would think they would be a big improvement under my sub. I have 33 yrs in audio( salesmen at The Discerning Ear in Md late 80s- 90s.) and have been a musician for 35 yrs i have tried hundreds if not thousand of ridiculious tweeks to real deal stuff while many applauded at my house and others laughed at me.If it works I believe it, I guess thats why one of the biggest threads here is on fuses lol
Respect to all