Wyred4Sound - Do clocks age?

Reading a recent review of the wyred4Sound Remedy over at 6moons (gods, is there any site harder to read or understand?) they seemed to say that perhaps digital clocks in sources and DACs age.

I remember reading some truth to this with some of the higher end clocks aging relatively quickly compared to lesser clocks.  I'm wondering if anyone has a source or measurements for this?

Does this mean we'll need to purchase a re-clocker every 5 years to keep our DACs sounding at their best?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
Hi Erik,

Assuming this is the review you are referring to, the relevant words appear to be on page 3, and are as follows:
Tony's opening comments on owner feedback which Wyred has collected suggest that potential applications include not just 'consumer-grade' mainstream gear but more 'high-end' stuff that's simply a few years old. Sufficient age should imply earlier less accurate types of clocks. I didn't think my Metrum Hex, AURALiC Vega or Aqua Hifi La Voce 2 converters were old enough to apply. Yet. But I'd check just in case.
I would interpret that to not be saying that clock performance deteriorates significantly over time, but rather that recent designs tend to be better performers than older designs.  Meaning that recent designs tend to be better performers than the older designs were even when the older designs were new.

Regards,
-- Al

It goes without saying that even recent, advanced clocks on systems moving at very high speeds will run a little slower than older design clocks on systems that are stationary relative to the moving system, thus making the advanced clocks age more slowly.  ;-)
As I might have expected, Geoff, it looks like you're well versed on Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity :-)

Regards,
-- Al