Dazed and Confused - Upgrading System But Too Many Options!

Help! I am upgrading my stereo and just have too many options. Every time I think I have it figured out I go down another rabbit hole. I’ll start by saying what I have.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 9
Amp: B&K ST2140
Preamp: Rotel RC980BX
CD: Arcam CD72
Phono: Rega P3

I have settled on the KEF LS-50 monitors. I am looking to add a network media streamer and either a new preamp or integrated amp.

So to keep this short, I see these as my main options:
  • Do I get an integrated amp like Rega Elex-R, Creek Evolution 50A/100A with a Ruby DAC or something else?
  • Do I leave off the Ruby DAC and get a streamer like Cambridge Audio CXN?
  • Do I forget about both of the above and get a Cambridge Azur 851N that is a preamp and solid media streamer?
  • Do I keep my B&K and just get a new preamp and media streamer (leaning toward Cambridge CXN)? I really like the B&K and think it’s very solid but then I would need to get another amp to power the Paradigms in the basement. 
  • Do I say “screw it all” and just get a PS Audio Sprout?

My listening style of late has been headphones on my Android phone but I want to return to where I was BC (before children). The monitor speakers will be better for listening anywhere on the main floor, not just in the sweet spot. I plan to convert my CD collection to FLAC (currently it’s all 320 kbps mp3). So I have some work to do but I need to make it easier for me to listen to music at home and upgrade the quality.

I know I rambled on, so if you made it this far, thanks for reading through.

Ken
treebeard1
Thanks for they continuing the thread guys.  I understand the LS50s have a long break in period.  I read something like 300 hours.  The dealer is pushing a pair of demo KEF R300s hard and provided an excellent price ($1,100).  I would be able to demo the KEFs.  He also gave me great prices on all the 851 components and the LS50s.  Maybe not as cheap as used on Agon but definitely competitive.

Unfortunately there is no place around me that has the 851 series available for an audition.  A few places within a couple hundred miles carry them but they are not on the demo floor.  So I will have to go on faith of reviews and research for the CA 851s.

Right now I'm leaning on getting the 851W (200w) and 851N and keeping my speakers.  I would then have my B&K and Rotel for the basement on an old pair of Advents I built from a kit in high school.  We will be getting a new TV and component rack so it will be my second listening room (for when the fam kicks me out of the living room).

Another option is to get the 851N and KEFs and an even cheaper option is to just get the 851N and plug it into my B&K.  As you can tell, I have pretty much settled on Cambridge Audio and KEF.  It's just what will be the winning component combination.  

I can really do without the tt because my old record collection is in such bad shape.  I can still move the tt to the basement. 

The dealer is working very hard to get me the right system so I will reward him. The last thing I want is to buy used after all this and then have to take it to the dealer if/when it breaks. 

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Ken
Ken, If you are going with a dealer, then he/she should be able to allow you to audition all of the equipment. That is why you are paying him the higher dollar amounts, compared to buying used. Otherwise, it is like buying equipment from Agon based on the recommendations of its' members.

I would think so.  He said "it comes down to display cost allocations per the calendar".  Not sure what that means exactly.  We have only emailed back in forth so I'll have to ask him directly.  
Hi Ken,

I have a pair of Kef 104.2 speakers found them on Craigslist for $260.00 and they are like new! I am still using my Audio Alchemy DTI PRO 32 and DAC separates with a Adcom 710 preamp and Adcom 555 High Current Amp 200 wpc and it will rock Pink Floyd like you are there!  New equipment is great but I would want to hear it for myself to beat my 20 year old system!! I probably have a little over a thousand dollars in everything. I paid that much for my first 104.2 Kef's used at Sound Advice scratch and dent sale over 20 years ago ( tweeters need replaced). (They are wonderful but I really would like the 105.3's but they are twice as much and hard to find). I'll still with the vintage stuff until I run into somebody's stuff that can blow mine out of the water and I'll bet were talking thousands of dollars!
Cheers,
Sam
Post removed