difussor's

I "think" im in need of some sort of diffusing on front wall of small listening room...I would be really interested to hear some experiences of some that have been through it...don't think I need an absorber type...as I have some bass traps in lower corner...just lacking clarity of sound stage...diffusor?
digsmithd
Definitely diffusors behind you to, well, diffuse back wall reflections. I used two Aurelex diffusors in my former listening space and these really made the back wall recede.  And absorption of first reflections to the side walls is a must to reduce phase cancellations.  A couple of floor-corner bass traps won't hurt either.

The bass traps off to the (front) center...not completely in corner have done a lot...first ref is going to be tricky...back wall will be some thing to deal w/though...im surprised nobody scolded me for having floor standers in such a tight little room...I read a thread were someone said a good speaker is a good speaker...no matter what room...as it is the room that you must regulate...im some were in between on that I guess...

I think its giving me a reason to try some atc’s standmounts?

I built five 2 x 4 foot quadratic diffusors for my front wall. I bought the plan from Acoustic Fields. Check out their website they offer a lot of good information. They really added depth, width and clarity to the soundstage. It was a lot of work but well worth it.
Diffusors (at least 1D diffusors) will not deaden the sound in the room, but can clear up and stabilize imaging while leaving liveliness in. If you have dipoles, then diffusors behind the speakers is probably a good idea. Otherwise, they usually work best behind or to the sides (but should be at least 4 or 5 feet away from your listening seat).

If you don’t mind a little (actually very little) work, and are in the USA near some lumber or big box hardware stores, you might want to try my DIY 2D diffusor design (actually designed via computer simulations rather than math formula or cut’n’try). See: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/269366-making-easy-diy-depot-sound-diffuser-panels-st...

If you are in a metric country (and don’t mind a little more woodwork), take a look at Tim Perry’s "Lean Fusers" at: http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/
While checking back here, I noticed an error in my post above -- my DIY diffusor is a 1D diffusor,  Which is probably the kind you want, 2D diffusors tend to diffuse too much energy toward to floor and ceiling, so that much of it dissipates before it reflects around off multiple surfaces to reach your ears; not a lot different effect than just using an absorber, IMO.
More to discover