Any thoughts on a solid hickory platform under my tt

I have access to some beautiful 2" thick hickory butcher block instead of maple any thoughts on vibration control vs maple 
128x128oleschool
Ht thanks for your input .. I asked the question and started this discussion of which many people voiced there opinions . I am a musician of over 30 yrs and been into audio gear for longer . I'm a big boy and have made my share of mistakes with snake oil . I have personnally heard changes using different tweeks ie cables iso ac lines etc . So i do not agree with your opinion nor that of many others here at times .You have spoken your point and beliefs thank you for your insight . There is no need really for anymore bashing. You can start your own forum for that if you wish ..  
Astro 
thanks . I was under the belief this forum discussion i started would give me some insight on what others are using over the years . Some tweeks are well " too out there for me " but isolating vibration from my turntable is not nor is adding sound deadning in my room or studio or upgrading cables etc to a point . I never understand why some of the " hyper elite" are so judgmental nor the novice are so unwilling to try things and decide for themselves . Perfect example does my tt sound better when it is isolated better . Yes ive proven it . Do my spkr sound better firmly planted .yes ive proven it . Does my digital sound better with a better cable .. Yes ive proven  it . Does my hollowbody gretch sound different then my prs mcarty yes. My tube marshall over a peavy again yes .. Thanks for your input 
oleschool OP
119 posts
07-02-2016 7:41pm
Geoff
As opposed to leaving the original feet to platform then your springs ? I think the springs would also be interesting under my sub . Again will the carpet and padding pose a problem for the springs? My sub is 38lbs

if the original feet are not springy they can be left on. Two springy things used together interfere w/ each other. Like a car going down the road with two shock absorbers for each wheel connected in series, it would be a very bumpy ride. Same goes for springs on carpet. If it were me I would use spikes capable of piercing the carpet/pad to support a maple board, then place the springs on the board.
oleschool,
Been following this thread reading the expected mix of suggestions.

I replaced  the footers on my VPI Classic with the Mapleshade brass footers. The table is on a 4" maple slab with the rubber/cork blocks supporting the slab.

The Mapleshade philosophy is  correct/incorrect as the rest of the recommendations, but I chose it because of another concern.

The stock footers IMO ruin the look of the table. The stock footers look cheesy and cheapen the appearance of an otherwise sharp looking table design. I paid with my hard cash, so I expect my gear to sound AND look good.  

Sonic improvements are subtle and subjective, but can be noticed 
if you can A/B a music passage for 15 seconds with the stock setup  then IMMEDIATELY place footers and the  40 pound slab underneath the table and play that same passage. In other words, 
its kinda  tough to really hear dramatic results. I THINK there is some sort of added overall "realness" to both ends of the sonic spectrum particularly tightening up of the bass notes of an upright jazz bass or kick drum in a rock tune. Pricey, but so is anything in this hobby.

What did you end up doing?

oleschool,

I regret, the remark I made earlier, "I know what I'm talking about". I should have said, I know what I'm hearing in my system based on trying various things with my wall mount set-up:

VPI Classic 3 Sig SE
3" maple platform
Symposium Ultra
Stillpoints Ultra SS
Edensound Terestone footers
Machina Dynamica Super Stiff Springs
MANA Acoustics wall mounting system, (has extreme flexibility, can swap in and out various aftermarket footers such as Stillpoints, Edensound, spikes, etc....)

a combination of all the above, switched in and out.

I do consider the springs a "must have" for a wall mounting system.

I've personally always found that with tts especially, "life made easier" by having the flexibility to level the tt without all of the hassle of, in the case of the springs, finding the exact positioning underneath the tt for the correct level to be achieved.

It could be argued either way as to what is best, a platform under the tt or just the springs. Much more flexibility using a platform. I've made my choice and I'm very happy with it.