Using 2 Subwoofers

I am in the process of picking out a new subwoofer and not sure if I want to go for 1 or 2???

Seems like the general consensus is that 2 are better than 1, but I am not sure if my room needs an additional subwoofer. The room is aprox. 14x14 but it is not closed in, since the kitchen is attached and hallway.

I am choosing between, HSU-ED-SVS-Outlaw etc.
dovjm
with a room that size-
get one and be done with it-
get a used JL Audio 112-
you will thank me later.
Buy two, try them out, then try one and if not much difference, return one. I have two and gave the dual set the edge. The only way to nail the issue is to actually have the two initially. But remember, placement is everything.
I second the JL Audio brand recommendation but I think (hear) that bass is stereo, too just like the rest of the spectrum. I use a pair of JL F110's and love the sound. Had one larger sub before these and two are definitely better than one for my system. When I got them I unpackaged them, put them in place, used the auto room optimization, slightly repositioned them once, and was done. Just like that. In my experience with two you can run at a lower level which makes them easier to integrate and avoid common sub issues.
Bizango1,

Bass below 100Hz or so become nondirectional. If you can hear the bass from the sub, either your crossover frequency is too high or the sub generates too much high order hormonic.
Sidssp,

I am aware of all the tech reasons you're referring to. In my room I can't place the sub in the middle because there's a large aquarium smack in between the speakers (has been for the last 35 years in a number of homes). With a single sub on the left or right I didn't necessarily hear the sub but with stereo subs I DO hear a broader and deeper soundstage particularly with classical music. I "know" the rules but I "experience" the effect of stereo subs-it sounds wonderful.