Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I knew you’d be back, O-10, and belueve it or not, I was hoping you would be; I’m only sorry that you didn’t come back with a more reasonable and positive attitude. If you, like Rok, are looking for another fight, please look elsewhere. I stand by my comments. As usual, the desperate see (and hear) what they want to see. Like Rok, you are responding, not in a reasoned way, but in a way that you feel somehow proves that you are correct and I am incorrect; and nothing more. What you and Rok don’t understand about this subject is that NOTHING that players like Bird played was unintentional; and, certainly not musical quotes.  The idea that it might be unintentional is way off base; and, frankly......well, I'll stop there.  Welcome back; I think.
***** just who made you judge, jury, and executioner, of this thread?*****

I think he is self-appointed.

***** you are responding, not in a reasoned way, but in a way that you feel somehow proves that you are correct and I am incorrect; and nothing more.*****

This is called 'projection' by the mental health folks.

Welcome back O-10.   A thread needs it's OP.

In the Bible, Job got affliction and pestilence, we got The Frogman.  But like Job, we will survive this testing.

Cheers

frogman,

Really liked your post re: Nat Adderly.  Thank you. 

One of my favorite tunes with both Nat and his brother Cannonball playing together.  If it's been posted here already I missed it. 

Equal parts traditional jazz and fusion, a cup of blues and a whole lot of groove. 

I've worn out my vinyl copy. 

- Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmpV67Mgsl0
Speaking of live albums, 1980 saw the release of this live set recorded in Japan by (probably) my very favorite fusion band of all time, "Steps".  Their recording "Smokin In The Pit" is one of the best examples of the genre.  An amazing lineup of players with impeccable jazz creds who have also been key players in other genres playing very interesting compositions which go far beyond simple twelve bar blues harmonic frameworks.  Virtuosic and incredibly tight ensemble playing and soloing with very advanced and far reaching harmonic vocabularies.  State of the art playing in a fusion setting that leans to the Jazz side of things while bringing to the table the rhythmic "accuracy" that characterizes good Rock.  Steve Gadd is a great example of a drummer who is incredibly rhythmically "accurate" while still having a great feel; very difficult balance to strike.  Brecker is....Brecker!   Great band:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLtcApAVo7q1KfNaC2BrUh2EkCkHwHWwkN&v=CBZTuSS0JiQ

The youtube clip data incorrectly says that this is a 1988 release.  And, btw, has anyone noticed how how many great live recordings have come from Japan?  

jzzmusician, thanks for that Cannonball clip.

****Equal parts traditional jazz and fusion, a cup of blues and a whole lot of groove. ****

Perfect description!  Cannonball was a monster player.  His playing has always had for me that hard to describe quality that players like Louis Armstrong had; no matter the groove that Cannonball was in, funky, bluesy, whatever, even when he was screaming through his horn there was an "up" quality about it all.  I always hear a smile in the playing.  Nat is in fine form.  I love the way Zawinal mimics the "twangy" sound of a sitar by playing the keyboard while putting his fingers on the piano strings to add to the Eastern flavor of the tune.  Speaking of Eastern flavor, odd-meter time signatures are common in Eastern music and in case anyone wonders about the title "74 Miles Away", this is a clever choice of title; the tune is in 7/4 time with seven beats to the measure.  

Thanks for a great and very interesting clip.