is a center channel really necessary??

I am currently redesigning the family room and have the option of installing a 5.1 system but have always been a 2 channel kinda guy. I love films and music equally, but assuming a fixed budget, may $4K, I know I could get a killer 2 channel setup but just a mediocre HT. MOst films I like aren't effects type, but I am concerned about hearing dialog clearly.

How much does the center channel matter?? Won't a set of good monitors image well enough to handle the dialog??
tswei99
Then there is the guy who ignores all of the typical rules,
of Audio...Me.

IMHO, I use the "center channel", but
not with ANY decoders, just "full range".

In addition, I employ dual speakers for Both Front & Rear,
Center channels.

So there is effectively, the same speaker cone sizes of
of just shy of two 15" cones, for Both Front and Rear.

Not only do movies, sound more "accurate, and life-like",
but the Music too, is greatly enhanced with the addition

of the Center speakers.

Being a die-hard, 2 channel man, I simply use 2 independent,
stereo set-ups, 1 in front, and the other in the rear,
and I use 2 side speakers.

I could remove the Center speakers, but then, the "room"
is no longer, "locked in sound". But then...

The mains need more juice, to make up for the -6db.(just front)
auditory effect, left removing Both Center speakers.

The sound is more "directional" without the Center speakers.

The Center, and sides, are like "whipped cream, and nuts"
on a ice cream sundae.

They seem to just "top off" the sound experience, without
any decoders, just "dual Stereo", which is the most
Natural "Surround" Sound I know of.

YES, I have "butt ugly" speakers , I admit it, but lucky for me, Music is about "Hearing" not "Seeing".

Although, to many, the mind is made up, at the Brand(Krell),
weight(140lbs) , review(John Atkinson),or any other number of ways, available,to learn of a "Product"

And "LOOKS!" mean Everything!

I care ONLY how it sounds.

Hearing IS Believing!

I Love My Music!

Period.
Forgot to mention ... similar to Bjpd57a1, MCH for SACD is run External Direct, with no signal processing.,
I had a 5.1 system and went back to 2.1 because I wanted to use my surrounds in a desktop setup. So I sold my center channel.

While I liked the 5.1, I really don't miss it at all. Voices are centered and perfectly intelligible. Sure, the cool effect of sound coming from behind me is gone, but really it was more of a novelty...the real impact of movies comes from the fronts and sub.

I think the commonly recited theory that a center channel is the most important speaker in a HT system is completely false.

I use a Marantz AVR to decode into 2.1 though, so I can't say how it would sound with a regular integrated.

Ryan
Post removed 
I don't use a center channel in my HT room, mainly because a lot of the older films I enjoy sound crappy with everything coming out of the center channel only. I would rather spread the sound to both sides, even if some of it is mono. Just my opinion, of course.