what does a power conditioner really do?

and why would one really be necessary 
shoe
This is a email msg ralph karsten sent 

They run off of 240V so you have to hook it up to your breaker box. You would then feed your audio room with the output of the Elgar. It has enough current to easily supply your entire room, even if you had a set of MA-2s.

It regulates AC voltage (no need for a variac) and uses a massive transformer to isolate the AC output. There is then a low distortion oscillator that is locked to the AC line frequency- the unit compares this oscillator to that of the output of the transformer and applies a correction signal to a feedback winding on the transformer. The result is a low distortion sine wave all the way up to full power, free of spikes. It puts **all** high end audio power conditioners to shame.

Ralph also mentioned these clean up 5th harmonic distortion waves. It also has the lowest distortion rating and the fastest response time.

If you are looking for a ac conditioner these are the ones to get.
Ive used a lot of different products in this category over the years, Tara Labs Power Screens were the best but they're NLA and hard to find used.  

I currently run a PS Audio P10 and it works great.  Solves several power issues I have in my state and provides some excellent diagnostics realtime and post event.  I bought mine new at 50% off retail from an authorized dealer...

As many others have emphasized, the quality of power into your home is important. I'd say equally (if not more so) important are the other devices in your house. Many audio components have some aspects of what a power conditioner does, built right into them. Other devices in your home can create significant electrical noise (think major appliances).

A power conditioner may offer the following features:
- Surge protection (MOV, avalanche, etc...)
- Power regeneration (very inefficient btw, if you care about your electrical bill)
- AVR (automatic voltage regulation)
- Voltage monitoring (may shut off power if voltage is too high/low)
- Isolation transformer (like in RGPC products, or an APC H15)
- RFI/EMI filtering, often with CMC's (common mode chokes)
- May provide balanced power (BPT, Equi=Tech)

I'm sure there's more, but I think that covers most power conditioners. I haven't seen much data about how effective they are in real world environments, or even controlled blind tests to show audible improvements. It's easy to create conditions to verify that the conditioner does what it advertises (i.e. feed it 100V, and it boosts it to 120V, or verify the surge protection meets the advertised specs), but knowing whether these conditions occur in your home or would even have any real noticeable effect on your equipment is a totally different story (and hard for anyone to say, because different people have such different equipment).
If you don't have a very power hungry system I found that PS Audio's P3 or P5 work rather well.  My system has more bloom, bigger soundstage, darker background.  They aren't cheap though.  
Shunyata hydra and power cords really dropped my noise floor.    I didn't really wanna think it would but once demo in my house it was an eye opener.   I'm in a loft building with 15 amp service running tube and ss gear .     I think conditioners are not gonna make a mediocre system great but they will make a great system just a touch more accurate.     Prior to the shunyata I had just a monster power strip plugged into a Panamax.     That combo did not seem to do nearly as much on my setup .