Harmony Remote Control

I was all set to pick up a Harmony 880 remote to simplify my HT system, but read a whole lot of negative reviews. Comments like cheap construction, faulty connection to the docking station and tiny buttons scared me away. For those of you who have this or another HT remote, can you share your experiences? Are these complaints nit picking or for real? Is there a remote out there that is better?
tonyp54
I have the 880 and it works well with the frankenstein system I currently have. I have had custom hex codes from pronto machines and others imported into my remote several times and customer support has always been responsive (within a day or two) in getting them done.
The web interface is a bit clunky and took a few tries to get everything the way I wanted, but once everything was setup I haven't had a single problem and I haven't met anyone who couldn't figure out how to work my somewhat complex system on the first try.
I saved the ROM file that is installed from the web site, so I can restore my entire remote setup easily in a few minutes without having to depend on their web site (I this tested by removing the battery).
I like my 880, but am still tweaking with it. It won't turn on my Denon 1650AR CD player, nor my Rotel 1095 amp; it keeps telling me to turn on the cd player! further, I have to use the Samsung remote to switch from tv/sat to dvd. I figure this is something I can work out with the techs, as I probably messed up with the setup. As for the buttons, they are pretty small, but better than some of the remotes, especially the cheesy remote with my oppo dvd player.
I have the older version, and have to say it is the best remote I've used. Programming is easy via the web-based system. As I have upgraded or swapped out components updating the device was very simple. Yes the buttons are a bit small, and the layout is not always the best, but those are very, very small issues compared to the ease of use, reliability and great performance. I whole heartedly recommend this remote.

Troubleshooting is a snap, and for the 1 or 2 times that the database did not include a needed command, I simple added it by the "learning" function. Now that data is in the system so I never have to repeat that step.
I've had the 880 for well over 2 years now, and I'll relate some of my experiences:

PROS: The website to program this thing is pure genius. It's very flexible and powerful, but at the same time intuitive and easy to use. The unit has proved to be reliable, with no problems.

CONS: The small buttons continue to bother me a bit, as it's easy to press the wrong one if you aren't concentrating. It makes very poor contact to its base so charging it is a 2-minute ordeal to manipulate the base and remote until it finally makes contact. Also, the IR beam doesn't seem that powerful, as frequently my TV and/or cable box doesn't turn on with the rest of the equipment (and all of equipment is together in one stand).

CONCLUSION: It's served me well for pushing 3 years, but I'm going to be looking at a Home Theater Master at some point.

Michael
Do not get a Harmony 1000 it sucks! It never works exactly the way it should, the help button always fixes the problem but it should not have to be used every single time you employ the remote. When I saw Harmony at T.H.E. show in NYC last May they agreed its not a remote that was ready for market, its a $500 waste of money and if I recall Prpixel told me on phone its discontinued, and I say good! I have used other Harmony products and have been happy but this model just missed the mark, and touch screen remotes (which the 1000 is) look great and hi-tech but real buttons you can operate by feel in a dark room during a movie may not look as sexy but waaaaaaaaaaay more usable and appreciated once you try a touchscreen and quickly discover its not so easy to use.