Budget AV Receiver with Magnepan

I'm looking to build a 5 channel home theater/music system using Magnepan MMG-W's and CC2 (or possibly MC1's for FR and FL) with a Monitor Audio sub. Now I'm looking at inexpensive used high end AV receivers to tie it all together:

Rotel - 1055 75x5

NAD - T744 (can be had refurbished with warranty) 5x50W, not sure if this is enough to drive the Magnepans?

NAD - T754, a bit more power, can be had with warranty

B&K AVR 202 - 105 x 5, I've heard one of these and liked it, it's a bit older than the rest

Cambridge Audio 540R - 80 x 6, nice looking unit but haven't heard much about them compared to NAD/Rotel/B&K

And advice/experience on any of these would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy with 5 channel DTS, don't need HDMI (although would be nice), want something that can drive the small Maggies without struggling (don't need ground shaking volume here), and I want something that sounds *good*. I'm coming from a small Denon 75w x 5 Dobly Digital surround receiver (driving Monitor Audio Silver 5i's). I know seperates are better, but I'm trying to keep the wife happy ($$$). Thanks!

Brad
bfrank1972
Yeah as far as HDMI goes, my new Samsung has 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs. Instead of going with a switching receiver as a central hub, I'm just going to connect direct to the TV (though it's a little more complicated for my wife to udnerstand :) ).
Component video connections CAN transmit HD signals; they will easily to 1080i and 720p. I'm not sure if they're do 1080p, but on my Samsung 1080p LCD, I cannot tell the difference between the HDMI and component video inputs. Of course, if you want to decode the AUDIO HD signals from a Blu-Ray disc, then you will need to use HDMI connections.

Michael
It's my understanding that component video goes up to 1080i, and can't do 1080p. I can also see where this might be hard to detect on a 1080p flat panel display, because flat panel displays don't interlace. Ever. So when they see a 1080i incoming signal, they automatically convert it to 1080p so they can display it. If a 1080p display receives a genuine 1080p signal, there should be some improvement in tracking fast-moving action, however.

The only true 1080i displays are CRT-based, whether a direct-view tube or CRT-based front or rear projector. All DLP, LCD, and plasma-based displays are progressive.

For example, my LCD-based rear-projection Hitachi will accept a 1080i signal, but the TV's native mode is 720p, and it downconverts a 1080i signal to a 720p display.
"Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, although many TVs do not support 1080p through component video"
"...I *am* unfortunately severely budget limited, $500 or maaybe stretch to $800. So I'll always be compromised in some way" (BFrank1972)

Yep, I recommend this route EVERY TIME, BTW, over an all-in-one receiver route for your maggies: Some $400-$600 range newer Denon, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon receiver on the net at slashed rates in the $400 price range - THEN ADD A 5 CHANNEL USED HIGH CURRENT OUTBOARD AMP!!
Several amps come to mind on the used market. However, you can probably find a great deal on some a Beefy Parasound HCA-1205/1206 for $500 range. Cheeper option would be Some Adcom or Rotel piece for $400-$500.
Either way, this option would be a much better combo approach than simply the receiver, IMO.
Old school tech, used would be to at least recommend an older Acurus Act 3 at $300, and adding an amp to that.
I like either of these older and newer tech routes over what you are attempting. (I speak from 20 years of pro and hobby experience in this)
Of all the receivers you mentioned, I like the B&K option the best with your maggies (but it has no newere codecs, Room DSP, EQ, limited bass mgmnt, likely, etc). Still, I could NEVER get my self to drive any Maggie (I've sold em in two high end stores, thus far) with a reciver - NO!