? about oppo

what is all the hype about, are they really that good? and if so , why would anybody buy a thousand dollar player? has anyone used one with powered speakers? if so , which ones? thanks doing research on a small system to do video and music in a 10 by 10 room...
dwhitt
for the price they can't be beat if you are talking about music playing (I own one for my TV rig) but it's no contest if you compare to a $1000 plus player....it's great for what it is and the Oppo's sound and video will satisfy the great majority, just not an audiophile quality component for music listening.
Larry
Dwhitt,

I just purchased the 983 after much research and thinking on BluRay. My set up is 80/20 HT so for me it was a no brainer. Both picture and audio quality blow away any player I have personally had. $1000 players are not in my WAF and I am waiting out to see what BluRay is going to do...You cannot go wrong. Performance to $$ ratio is unbeatable...
oppo products once again demonstrate that the price/performance equation in audio/video is elusive. As we all should know, it is amply at work in the 'cable game', and the 'mod' movement.

I have two oppo players, one I use for audio, the other for video. Both units perform exceptionally well, even measured against my hi end sony and cal labs tube units. You would do well to just buy the new oppo unit that recently came out and stop looking for anything else. Buy it on Amazon, it gets you free shipping and a no hassle, no cost return policy. Let your ears tell the story, not marketing hype of the hi-end press. I was shocked that the hi-end gave oppo such good reviews, it could destroy their business model.

Once you have done so, it is important that you never listen to any other player, ever. To do so buy's into the very costly hi-end game.

Enjoy.
Yes, the Oppos really are that good. My $200 981 sounds every bit as good as my Denon 3910, originally a $1500 player. The new 983 has gotten rave reviews. I'll know this weekend, mine is being delivered this Friday - w00t!

-RW-