Need New MM Cartridge Recommendation

Hello All!

I need a recommendation on a new moving magnet phono cartridge. 

Here's my system:

Roksan Radius 5 (I think MK1 or 2) turntable 
Creek Evolution 100A integrated amplifier with Creek Sequel MM board
PSB Imagine T2 loudspeakers 

The Roksan came with a Roksan Corus Black MM cartridge, which was likely a Goldring manufactured cart.  It was great!  The stylus broke off after about 8 years use. 

I was wondering about the following but am open to all recommendations: 

Clearaudio Maestro (yikes! It's $1200)
Ortofon 2m Black
Goldring carts similar to Corus
Audio Technica AT150MLX

Any insight and recommendations will be super appreciated!

PS:   Sequel 40 mk2 MM Phono pre-amp is the device specifically suited for most types of Moving Magnet cartridges, with an output between 3.5 to 5mV and a matching impedance of 47k Ohms.
128x128jbhiller

Jbhiller,

Your Creek phono board is old school regarding shunt capacitance. It might be better suited for the Ortofon in that respect.  225pF was sort of a defacto standard MM capacitance for awhile.  More "modern" pieces tend to use 100pF. 

Regardless, this is the cart I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT7V-phono-cartridge-Japan/dp/B00008B5EB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

If you get it from Amazon you also get free shipping and they stand behind the sale.  You'll also need an ATN150MLX stylus.  Zzounds.com is an authorized dealer and sells it for $200. 

The stock configuration is made with a heavier arm in mind, but I'm quite sure it will work. The cart takes on the compliance, VTF etc. of the stylus and you'll be amazed at the performance here.  Under the circumstance I'm not sure how much of the potential will be realized, but I think you'll enjoy the performance.

Regards,

Dear dentdog: I have experience with almost all the top Nagaoka models but that's not the point but the swetness you speak.

If you are in a live event at 3 m. from a gentleman playing a cornet where you can detect those nuances in the undertones, sorry no way. Music is not that way.

Nothing wrong with what you like in an audio system that performs very different ( any system. ) from a live music. I always try to stay nearest to the recording and live music but is imposible to even that.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Raul,

Dentdog asked you to butt out.  Do you know what that means?

It means, for whatever reason he does not want to hear further thoughts or comments on the subject from you. 

Sincerely,

Following this with interest. I've just sold my DV20X2.Perhaps not the smartest move as I have no criticism of it in my RP10, at all. BUT, having seen the performance I can get from cartridges much, much further down the food chain ( A Grado GTE+ . Fantastic, Love It, but can't kill the hum) my DL103PRO ( I always go back to it in the end ) I too am looking for a decent MM,  to go with my RP 10 .The option is always there to stick the tungsten C/W onto get the mass up for the DL103, but its 8 years old and the clock is running out.
Phono stage is FULLY configurable for gain/capacitance / RIAA curve/ input 'Z'

The RP10 makes HUGE differences to the timbral qualities of the music, which is why I'm less fussy about the money spent on a cart. My Totem Dreamcatchers are where I'm at. Bright, musicians would say sharp, like a cold clarinet, until they warm up and settle down after 20 minutes or so. Thanks for this, and do share if you have any further reflections......

Peeweekiwi,

If you're looking for a current production model with the attributes you describe, I think you should look at Nagaoka. 

Regards,