Rory Gallagher Original Album Classics

Probably late to the party but just picked up this re-mastered box set from Amazon. Have listened to 3 of the 5 CDs and so far - great music, great sonics, great value. On my system and to my ear, this seems like re-mastering done right. If you like the blues and don't know Rory, check it out. Didn't bother to search for prior threads. Worth a repeat (I think) even if there are.
128x128ghosthouse
Loomis - no problem. I actually wasn't trying to correct you. Simply wanted to list the albums and original release dates for the stuff in the box set. Didn't even notice that discrepancy. I'll keep an eye out for the other things you mention.
Loomis:

Bit of a correction on your Gallagher "wouldn't be allowed to sing" comment. The Stones auditioned several players after Mick Taylor left, Rory Gallagher among them. Once Gallagher had done a bit of jamming with them, they put him up in a hotel room. And made him wait, and wait, and wait some more, with nothing said about future plans for the band. Gallagher had a Japanese tour to attend to and so left the Stones a note, essentially saying that there was no point to him waiting around any more. He left, and that was that.

And I'm glad of it; I couldn't ever have imagined him dueling with Keith Richards, whose ego wouldn't have been able to handle the hugely impressive six-string competition.
Jimi Hendrix was quoted once saying that "RG was the best guitar player".  I have been looking for a place to start w/ this artist!
Happy Listening
jafant...I think that quote from Jimi about RG is apocryphal/"urban legend"...but have heard it before (and very cool if it were true).

It is also claimed Jimi said it about Phil Keaggy
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/keaggy.asp

Elsewhere found Jimi being cited as saying Billy Gibbons was the greatest!

Hope you do get some music by Rory. The Irish Tour movie is really great too (sound isn’t so hot but still worthwhile).

Laughing...
there cannot exist (3)  greatest guitar players.  One has to be good, better, best (greatest).  Did JH know Billy Gibbons?