Preamp recommendation please..

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand preamp, to match my Krell Evo 302e amp.
Speakers are Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand.
I like setups based on tube preamps and SS amps, but this is not a must.
Most important for me: Transparency, Musicality & Drive. Smooth sound, not thin or clinical.
Fully balanced models are preferred.
Budget is around $3k.
Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx.

k302
Tnx kingrex.

I had a chance to try the FS MKIII at home last week. Great preamp with exceptional built quality. But I felt, like with other preamps I’ve tried, that the compromise on the transparency side, is too much for me.

As I’m thinking of upgrading my source (Denon 5000), I started thinking about raising my budget towards $4k, and look for a used, one box pre+source, going direct to the Krell.

Happy to hear ideas.

Some people appear to find it a bit bright but the solid state ARC LS3 was a Stereophile Class A component that only listed for $1,200 back in the 90s and can be found for under $700 now.  They are superb.

Hello K302.  As a question, not a challenge, what do you mean by the compromise on transparency?  I though the FS was transparent, but my basis for experience is limited.  I have only had the McIntosh and Airtight preamps.  I have also had the integrated Rogue Audio Tempest, Cary SLI80 and a Rega Osiris.  To me the FS blew them away.  It does have a lot of bass but I get no hiss from anything.  Are you comparing it to solid state?  Maybe I am biased as I prefer tube equipment and look beyond some distortion.  I did just replace the CJ amp with a Transparent Design Audio set of 1570 monoblocks.   Holly smoke, most amazing amps I have had to date.  I did try a solid state amp between, but it was too black between passages.  When it played, I heard so much I could not relax.  I just keep listening to hear more.  It was flooring in that sense.  However the harmonics and decay of instruments with good tube gear is so inviting and fulfilling I just can't leave it.  Anyhow, thanks for any input.  Learning as I go.

Owe, as an aside.  I did spend 2 days in San Francisco's Elite Audio and heard the VAC amps powering Kharma S7 speakers.  The Kharma floored me.  Compared to my Sonus Faber full range Luito, that speaker was transparent.  I never though a 2 way could be so full and rich and complete with information.  I guess that's what you get when you invest $22K.  Ouch, not me.

Hi k320,

If your source budget was slightly higher, how about going straight to the top - Krell Cipher CD/SACD player!  You can message me for details.  It's AWESOME, will make the DVD-5000 sound positively broken.  The Cipher's level of detail is shocking.  The control, weight of everything, percussiveness...everything else sounds soft.

Pared with a CAST preamp you'd have the full setup.  :-)

-Brian

I had an in house audition of a Krell 302 e with my Prima Luna Dialogue Premium  with CBS 12au7's. This is with Thiel CS5's. I thought that the Krell sounded a bit, well, shrill to my ears.

Whatever you do, get a test drive first if you can.

Dsper