Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I heard this live;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9SVGZGaGdA

Although there is all kind of distortion, can you hear beyond the distortion; this is jazz musicians just jammin, all improvisation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8z0u9oS9Zc

These are St. Louis musicians playing for the joy of making music in 1960. I hate these cuts are so short. Late night when they were live, they went from one idea into another, the way improvising musicians play, and 15 minutes was typical. Compare what you have on record, to Horace Silver live, and note the time difference. The organ or the guitar took the music in a different direction, and it was like follow the leader; this is what improvising is all about, no written music.

No amount of practice will enable you to improvise like the top jazz musicians we've discussed, and Frogman knows it; either you got it or you don't.

They used the word "practice" as if I'm saying these musicians never practiced; evidently they think I'm a "MOW-RON". How many times have Learsfool and Frogman inferred that?

Grant Green would come into his favorite lounge, lean up against the jukebox, and just start playing, of course no body said anything or minded. After he finished, he would have a drink and leave. He was lean with a thick head of hair, and a build like a cowboy. When this baldheaded dude who was slightly overweight came up to me, I didn't know who he was. Time brings about a change. While there was a change in his looks, his playing just got better and better; he never evolved to some unrecognizable music that he called jazz.

To me, this music is living and breathing, it's a part of me.

Enjoy the music.