Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
macdude ...

Ah-Ha, just as I suspected ... you haven't heard what the SR Black fuses can do. :-)

I agree exactly with your observation on the tonality of the unbroken in fuses. After swapping out the two SR Red fuses in the CD player and installing the SR Black fuses I did hear more transparency but not the overall musicality of the broken in Red fuses.  But after the SR Blacks burned in, there was no comparison. The Blacks win hands down. No contest. I'm amazed. My audiophile friends who've heard the system with both the Reds and the Blacks are amazed at the improvements afforded by the Blacks over the Reds. 

Give the SR Black fuse at least 70 hours break in. I think you'll be pleased and rewarded with the effort.

Take care ...
After 96 hours of continuous burn-in, the two fuses inside of my SACD Player is really starting to open up, much smoother and the hard upper region is Gone and I'm hearing more texture, body and subtle cues on guitars, violins and cellos...

I inserted the SRB fuse into my Integrated amp last night and done some initial fuse orientation cold right out of the box just to get a sense of the sound with zero hours; results similar to what I experienced with my CD Player but different in many ways. One direction produced a more organic sound that was upfront in imaging but very little detail. A quick flip of the fuse and things changed, soundstage drastically shifted 4-5 feet behind the plane of the speakers allowing you to hear the recording venue of the Artists.

More to follow on the Amp fuses in 4 days with the tube power supply being the next upgrade...
My default disposition is somewhat skeptical. That said, I was surprised at the difference Hifi Tuning Supremes made in my Ayre AX7e a few years back. Everything opened up, more dimensionalality with a deeper wider soundstage, more punch, more organic sound. Maybe it's my imagination but I've been convinced nonetheless and yes it strikes me as logically odd that something not in the path of sound transmission could make a difference. And never had a problem with them. 

So when I recently upgraded to the AX-5 I had no hesitation deciding to replace the fuses. Reading this thread I decided to try the SR Black, which are now on order. Will update after installed and some hours on 'em.

Frank  (Oregonpapa ),
I find myself in agreement with you often on this thread. The Black fuses definitely need more burn -in hours than the SR RED fuses for whatever reason. A few nights ago at roughly 60 hours of  use the music just bloomed  and opened up. I was listening to a very familiar Carmen McRae live recording and it all just fell into place, it was somewhat dramatic. Up to that point I was missing the musical ease and organic natureof the Red fuses. It was at this juncture where the Black fuses surpassed the terrific Red fuse. The sound based on listening last night is apparently still improving (90 hours)  A very familiar recording,  Chet Baker "The Italian Sessions " has never sounded better, just engrossing and beautiful. The Black fuses require patience. 
Charles, 

If I were to guess, I think put at least 150 hours on all of these fuses to allow settling.

The Beeswax seems to me to be gaining in organic quality as time goes on. As with Macdude, I have not experienced any glare in the preamp. left on continually. It just has weight, extension and harmonic texture...I love it. 

This could give The Cable CO. some thought of try before you buy with incremental credit to the purchase. Shipping would be a breeze but you would have the break=in complete with a no-risk trial. Other sellers might follow. All components remain electronically different along with personal perception..