Advice for a new Oracle Delphi Owner

Calling all Oracle Delphi owners, I recently bought a nice condition MK III and have a couple of questions for existing or previous owners of this fine turntable.

My questions are.

1) Do you always switch off the platter each time you change the record over or try to unclamp, flip over, re clamp whilst the platter is spinning. If the answer is yes I assume the motor is robust enough for the constant switching on and off?

2) Do you ever play with an alternative platter mat without the clamp. If so what brand.

I really like this turntable and it sounds excellent with no issues evident at the moment. My only thoughts are that it is a little more time consuming to use due to the constant power off, unclamp, place record, reclamp, power on and play routine for every side of play. 

Look forward to any input.

Thanks.
ateal
"As I recall, adjusting the Delphi III's tower height does not change the tension on the springs - only their height. The turntable is designed to be "springy" and performance will likely suffer if you try to "firm up" its suspension."

Exactly. I owned one Black/Gold III 25 years ago. Gorgeous machine. Alas, it was impossible to fine tune because the location of towers didn´t match the upper chassis tower holes exactly. Sounded good though. But I never could get the best out of it. What a shame :/
Thanks Cleeds and Harold for the advice on the suspension.

Harold, can you clarify that problem you had with your MK III and how it adversely affected the tuning. Do you mean the 3 holes in the aluminum sub chassis did not correspond with the 3 holes in the acrylic deck. I guess that would mean one or more of the towers were skewed in the vertical plane.

If that is the case then that must have been a poor factory quality control issue and I agree such a shame.  
That´s right. Towers out of place, a poor factory quality control indeed (got it cheep, demo or proto perhaps). Very difficult to fix. I frustration changed it to a brand new GOLDMUND STUDIO.
But that´s another story, of course. Ah, those crazy days of my youth :)
I replaced the original mat on my Mk I Delphi with a mat like the one on the Goldmund many years ago. The sound was better IMHO, but it was a heavier mat,  for which I was able to correct the suspension by changing the springs.  I now have a Mk V with the new type mat (I don't think Oracle made a mistake). I suggested the Herbies mat and washer as a trial because it has a satisfaction guarantee, I have not used one personally. The original mat should be cleansed periodically with dish soap and water.
 Changing the height of the towers also affects where the belt rides on the inner rim.  if you get it too high, the belt will not stay on the rim. On my MK V the height of the skirt above the base is 18 mm with a record and clamp on the platter. i just checked and it bounced about 25 times.
If the Mk III has the newer style 2-piece bearing, contact Oracle to see if you can update the bearing bottom for the one on the MK VI with a polymer thrust pad. It is a big improvement. Also get a new belt and bearing oil.
oldears, thanks for the tip re. the Herbies mat, I may give that a try. As for the belt ride height I checked last night and it sits square in the middle of the inner rim, so I have some room to maneuver up or down if I need to.  

Also it sounds like we both have our suspension set exactly the same at 18mm with similar bounces. That's good to know.

With regards to the bearing I am not sure if I have a 2 piece or 1 piece. I do know that I can remove the bottom of the bearing and flip over or replace the thrust pad. How do I tell if I have 1 or 2 piece bearing?

Thanks again.