Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Wow rwwear......sounds like an amazing Victor..😍
Can't wait to hear what you think when you have it?

Regards

Halcro.
Does the chip have a manufacturers name on it? I also noticed there were some chips with "B" as a suffix. Are they different?
Lew would know know more about the chip than I do.
I haven't even seen the damn thing...🙈

I think the chip was made by NPC, which stands for "Nippon something something".  I will check the label when I am able to get to it.  It is indeed a good idea to specify the maker when ordering, so as to be sure there is no confusion, even though there should be one and only one chip configured like the SC3042. (This is from memory, but I think correct. However, I could be thinking of the designation for the Denon DP80 chip, a more rare bird.) Whether that designation can optionally have an "A" after it, I do not recall.  My experience has been that several of the vendors that offered to sell me this chip have never ceased to email me to ask whether I want more of them or to try to sell me something else in the realm of solid state parts.  I probably get at least an email per week.  At the time, I just picked the seller who seemed to have the best grasp of the English language.

Henry, it's a 16-pin rectangle with 8 pins per long side.  You'd need a special soldering iron to de-install the old one and install a new one, or great skill with a conventional soldering iron.

Totem, Thank you for alerting us to the thread related to SP10 Mk3 speed regulation.  I've digested it thoroughly.  What I don't get is whether the guy who figured this out and went to the trouble of creating a PCB, on which to mount his circuit that replaces the single chip that "runs" a Mk3, is selling or is going to sell the PCBs along with instructions on how to stuff the board.  I would be interested for sure, as the owner of an SP10 Mk3 that I bought NOS and which works perfectly as is.  One cannot be too vigilant about potential maintenance needs. Plus he seems to infer that his circuit is actually more accurate than the original chip, although I don't know whether one needs to worry about a few Hz when the frequencies in question are in the millions of Hz.

By the way, a dirty little secret of SP10 Mk3 world is that the very same chip was used inside an SL1500 or SL1600 turntable, either of which is usually available for a few hundred bucks.  I know some guys who have stockpiled a few of those so to be able to repair their Mk3's.