Which connection: RCA, XLR, COAX, OPTICAL?

Hi again good people on Audiogon, I have little experience with this, so would you be so kind to give me some advice? I did read about it around the web, but opinions are somewhat contradicting and confusing, at least to me. I’m in a process of changing most of my system. I have no possibilities to try-out different cables.

I need to decide how to connect a CD player and a Blu-ray player to integrated amp (with built-in DAC) and to head-amp (with built-in DAC).
I expect (probably) to have these options:

- amplifier (with DAC) inputs: 1 XLR, 2 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- head-amp (with DAC) inputs: 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- CD player outputs: 1 XLR, 1 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink;
- Blu-ray player outputs: 1 analog RCA, 1 coaxial, 1 optical toslink.

All cables will be between 0.4 and 1 meter, always as short as possible.
Regarding the quality of DACs in these 4 devices, it’s much more probable that DACs in amplifiers will be better than DAC in CD player, but let’s also consider the opposite case too, where the DAC from CD player is of equal or better quality. (DAC of Blu-ray player will be of lower quality for sure.)

Which type of connection would you recommend for each one of these 4 connections (CD-amp, CD-headamp, BLU-amp, BLU-headamp)?
Would your recommendations differ for CD player, based on the quality of its internal DAC, its inferiority or superiority to the amp’s built-in DAC?

THANK YOU SO MUCH :)
audiosonicsound
So, the safest bet would be optical?
No, I didn't say that :-)

While I would definitely rule out USB for a connection of that length, I have no strong convictions about which of the other possibilities to go with.  So I've stated the relevant tradeoffs and concerns that occur to me, and beyond that your guess is probably as good as mine.

Good luck.  Regards,
-- Al

ethernet-to-S/PDIF converter - something like this? http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/simple-design-rendu-ethernet-to-spdif-converter/
Yes, that is one such device. Another much less expensive converter from the same company is this one. As I indicated, though, I have no particular familiarity with such products, and I have not taken the time to study them in any detail. For one thing, I don’t know offhand if those particular products are suitable for playback directly from a computer, or from network attached storage, or both.

Another possibility to consider, if the computer is a desktop model (as opposed to a laptop or tablet), would be to upgrade the sound card to a high quality professionally oriented model such as the Lynx E22 ($699), with which you would also need this $40 analog breakout cable, the combination providing analog XLR outputs having exceptionally good drive capability. You would also need an additional XLR cable, such as Mogami Gold Studio which I mentioned previously, to provide the necessary additional cable length. Or, alternatively, it MAY be possible to connect the E22 to the DAC via S/PDIF using this $30 digital breakout cable plus a BNC to RCA digital cable providing the necessary additional length. (I’m not certain of that, however, as the entries in the description relating to S/PDIF are unclear).

There may be other models from Lynx that are also worth looking into.

Lots of possibilities to consider.

Regards,
-- Al

Man, you are a wealth of informations!
But there is one catch which I didn't mention. That length, several meters, runs underground. I put plastic pipes under my wooden floor many years ago, for a situation like this. That cable, to get a signal from PC to amplifier, has to run through the pipe, so it can't be something with massive connectors. I'll try with optical cable first, and if that proves fine, that's it.
But thanks a lot, I learned about some options and things I knew nothing about, that might be useful sometimes somewhere.
All the best to you!