When rap came out 30 years ago I thought it was just a fad

Now it seems like it dominates the music industry, movies and fashion. My only question is why?

taters
My question to you is. Were they thugs before rap or did rap make them thugs?

Taters .... Our very own audiophile philosopher.  You stay awake nights thinking up all these questions you ask?  Will you reach audio enlightenment?  I wish you the best of luck.  As for Rap, you know, it's kind of like Jazz.  Would it last?  To everyone's amazement it did, but why?  Hmmm, maybe just because I don't get it doesn't mean no one else does.  Matter of fact a whole lot of other people do get it, so it must be successful despite me.  Who'd of figured?  As for the thugs, they have been with humanity since the dawn of time.  Didn't you take history? 
Sorry to be a smart ass, the target was just to big to miss.  
There is a big difference to me. Jazz has lasted in a small niche way and I am happy for that. I don't remember it dominating fashion or the movie or music business like Rap has. So I ask the same question I asked before. Why?

If you're comparing Rap to Jazz, 80s and 90s Rap music was free-form, inventive, improvisational. There was a similar niche market.
But now it's a formula like Pop music, it's mass produced for the younger generation and along with that comes the fashion so your kid can look like his favorite thug. IMO, this mass-marketed formula not only includes music that sounds the same, but all Rap artists now look the same.

I can understand how Rap music and it's fashion is so popular, due to some very smart marketing people, but I cannot understand how Hollywood and celebrities embraced it.