Digital versus Vinyl - Grinnell College Review

Thinking about the appeal of Vinyl myself, but; currently have a digital only rig. I found this to be a very informative overview of the differences between Digital (CD's/Streaming) and Vinyl Record playback. Also inclined to give credibility to the subject knowing it was authored by...well....college students with no apparent bias.

http://thegrinnellpost.com/2015/05/01/a-technical-review-of-vinyl-records/

Mark
gocubs999
Hi melbguy1,

Im a proud owner of virus gear as well, running mp transport and dac into sm102. I also have by vynil setup and I would say vynil all the way. 

Im guessing your based in Melb? Happy to share some of my feedback if you're keen to catch up locally. 
Hi Phaminator,

Yes I am from Melbourne. I know of your system & admire what you’ve achieved. Yes, i’d accept ultimately a vinyl rig is capable of better sound. Though I don’t have the space for a vinyl setup, or for storing vinyl in my apartment situation. I also prefer the convenience of cd’s. I have found the main thing holding back a player like the SCD-025Mk2 is digital media.

I recently played two reference cds recorded in XRCD24 and DXD & was amazed at the rich, open & natural sound. Gary Koh also told me how good the Crystal discs sound in their demo’s. So I think that medium still has a lot of potential if one takes the time to source well mastered and recorded discs.

Drop me a line if you’d like to catch up!
Analog is relaxing, and digital isn't.  Why do you listen to music?  Digital makes you say, "Wow, that sounds unbelievable"(an intellectual response), while analog makes you want to listen to more.

Somewhat tired debate that will go on indefinitely. Really about the convenience of digital vs purity of vinyl. Both have merits.

I get tired of these debates as well, but for different reasons; mostly because of low enders who (to be frank) don't have the money to put a great cd player in there system, fully optimized to enable them to hear what great digital can do...