Does anyone else have an "ANVIL Turntable"???

Category: Analog

/Users/tmarx/Desktop/unnamed-9.jpg/Users/tmarx/Desktop/unnamed-2.jpg/Users/tmarx/Desktop/unnamed-7.jpg

I have had this beauty since September. I bought from the manufacturer and designer Bruce McDougall in Detroit. I have had a great time with it and love its sound, simplicity and cost. I have installed a Polestar UNV-2 arm and a ZYX R-100 Yatra cartridge, run thu a ZYX phono pre.

I have a large collection of everything from big band to Jazz to county.

I hope to hear how others have worked with the table and learn nuances of their set-ups. What is you experience? Are there suggestions from others with similar build types.

Thanks, Tim
doobie1
My review and experience is completely in line with Karl's above.

After using a modified TD150 (for years!!) I decided to try a non-suspended table on a closeout model by Consonance (LP6.1). I didn't really notice big differences minus some better control in the low frequencies. Both tables I used the Denon 103.

I read Fremer's review in 2012 on the Anvil and decided to make the call to Bruce last fall. I learned a great deal about tables on that first call and decided to have him build me one.

My version is very similar to the Fremer's review table in that it's the basic design without any "finish" details. The motor pod is the original style as well (not the newer rounded one). I chose the table based on the high mass concept within a small footprint.

The table was shipped out last month and I allocated 2 days for setup. The table setup took 30 mins. The arm (Jelco 750D) to another hour or so. I gave it a couple hours to settle, picked an LP and gave the platter a push. Oh MY!!!

The cartridge (Denon 103) was perfectly setup, no issues. It was that moment that I understood what I was missing for years to include: very clear definition in voices, drums was there (not hidden) and then there's low end.

The bass extension was what I had hoped. It was there without me having to constant tweak sub, etc. In addition, I have no issues with any vibration control with the stock cork footers. My home is old and is mostly hardwood.

All in all, I have been pulled into listening to my records and is now very engaging. By far, the Anvil surpasses any audio addition to my systems over the years. Bruce is now a good friend, and has always been great with questions, etc. Recommended. The Anvil is truly a musical instrument.

My system includes: Anvil>Decware ZP 2.0>Truth Preamp>Casper 5998 amp>Hornshoppe Horns/Heils.

- Chris
I had a chance to listen to the Anvil during a demo session Bruce did in Detroit a few months back. First, the appearance of the turntable is just cool, for lack of a more descriptive word. For all it's mass, it is surprisingly compact. It's hard to go wrong with circles, and the design is striking, spare and redolent of quality. We listened to Sonny Rollins, then Coltrane/Hartman, and the sound was dynamic, clear, crisp and very detailed. I was impressed by how well-defined and the bass and drums were, and by the soundstage the table presented. I'm currently using an Empire 698, McIntosh C220, McIntosh MC225 and Tannoy Turnberrys. Despite my love of tubes and vintage gear, I also use a Luxman D-06 as CD/SACD and DAC. Vintage looks (or lack thereof) aside, I consider the Anvil as a strong contender for my next upgrade.
I have had an Alloy Convertible turntable by Anvil Turntables for more than a year and just have not gotten around to writing a review. It is an exceptional turntable, especially for the price. I got mine in a titanium finish to maintain the "metal" theme. It came with the heavy motor mount and new cork ball isolation pods. I was looking for a metal platter turntable with a non-resonant plinth/chassis. I did not want a composite, glass or MDF platter. I was also looking for a mass-loaded design as an alternative to the Thorens TD-150 I have lived with and loved for decades. Simon York designs were the most alluring, but out of reach financially. I also like swapping out tonearms, which is not an option on another popular metal-plattered product line in the US. I kept coming back to the Analog Planet and Karlos5000 reviews until I finally took the plunge.

First, doing business with Bruce is an engaging experience. I enjoy this hobby and Bruce enjoys the discussion as much as I do. It is a far more personal choice for me when I can understand more about the products I buy than just purchase them off the shelf or out of an Internet catalog. I am sure his time will become more precious as sales of this turntable increase, but the discussions illuminated how knowledgeable he is regarding focus on what matters for good LP reproduction and what can be deprecated as not relevant to improving the outcome.

The turntable itself is quiet, a result of weight and innovative alloys to manage vibration. Reproduction of LPs is neutral. Articulation is particularly important to my enjoyment of reproduced music and the Alloy Convertible delivers the low noise floor and stable speed that delivers what I want to hear. Bass is solid and stable - low and clear. One example from the 45rpm version of Blood, Sweat & Tears I picked up recently is the rapid bass line that does not slow down or get muddy and just slams on. PRAT is excellent. I could go on, but the truth is in the listening and I cannot stop mining the large [3 generations] record collection I refused to discard through multiple moves. The Alloy Convertible works for me, delivering on all the issues that were important at a reasonable price.

The speed stability and low noise floor deliver the microdaynamics that get me closer to the microphone's view of the performance - more important than obvious macrodynamics to me.

The only difficulty I have encountered is setting the platter speed at precisely 33.3 or 45 rpm. The standard motor controller gets close, but the adjustment granularity forces selection of slightly slow or fast. Not significant, but consider the upgraded motor controller if precise speed is important - the speed stability is still incredible with the standard controller.

I do have the iron base, but have not had time to rebuild my shelves to accommodate it. Everything I have done to lower the noise floor in my system has demonstrated better resolution in reproduction, so I expect more of the same with the base.

For reference in interpreting my remarks, the phono chain in play is Lyra Dorian on an Origin Live Enterprise 3C tonearm. I use a Boston Audio Mat2. The electronics are all Pass Class A with Nordost balanced cabling and power cords/conditioning.