Here is how we roll in Cali:

Father's Office, Los Angeles
Hodad's, San Diego
In-N-Out, Baldwin Park
TK Burger, Costa Mesa
Jalama Beach Grill, Santa Barbara

How do you roll?
bongofury
Umami Burger (Several LA area locations) is worth trying.

Steamies in Telluride does a not bad White Castle knock-off, if that's your thing (it's not mine)

The King Cole Bar at the Saint Regis hotel in mid-town is stiff competition for the much hyped Burger Bar at the near-by Parker. I prefer either to the very good (but over hyped) Shake Shack burger.

My favorite sandwich candidate is the 50-50 (half tri-tip/half pulled pork) from the Calabasa Catering truck that sets up in the parking lot of Jims Meats in Woodland Hills. They do Santa Maria style chicken, ribs, and tri-tip BBQ. Japanese food aside, this truck offers IMHO the best food in the Valley.
If we are veering into tri tip sandwich land, I would highly recommend the tri tip at Firestone Grill in San Luis Obispo, Ca.
O'Duffy's Pub and Bravo! Restaurant in Kalamazoo both offer Wagyu Burgers that are very, very tasty.
There are some great Burger Joints in our Nation's Capitol.

When you're in Washington, D. C., check out:

(01). Fuddrucker's -- Sizes range from .25lb. to up to 1lb. (GRADE A BEEF -- HAND PATTIED (NOT STAMPED)), get it cooked ANY WAY you want. Fixings stands features Lettuce, Tomato, All Sorts Of Peppers, and ALL the Condiments you want. Bacon is also available if you want it. And you're healthy conscious, you can opt for a Turkey or Veggie Burger as opposed to an all Beef one. Milkshakes is as thick as they come. $$ to $$$

(02). TGIF -- I "ALWAYS" order the "Friday Burger" when I am there. I get mine with Bacon or Ham, Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup and Mayo, with Fries on the Side. $$

(03). Johnny Rocket's -- Get your Burger cooked and topped ANY WAY you want. Get as MANY patties as you wish. If you're daring (which I am not), try downing three THICK Grade A All Beef Handmade Patties with toppings of your choice and cheese on all THREE patties (again, not me.... this isn't McDonald's..... and unlike McDonald's, their patties are REAL THICK and made with REAL BEEF). Get ANY KIND of Milkshake your heart should desire. AND...... if you like Oldies, each table has these Mini Jukeboxes on them, with all the Old Time Rock-N-Roll Hits from the 1950's, and 1960's. Come in, get your grub on, get your groove on, have a good time. $$

(04). Green Turtle -- (See TGIF).

(05). Five Guys -- When you want something BETTER than McDonald's, but don't have the desire to go to Fuddrucker's TGIF/Green Turtle, and you want it to go, but cooked and prepared the way you want it. I would skip the Fries however. The Fries are too greasy for my liking. When your bag has grease spots all over it, then your Fries are too greasy. $$

--Charles--
But you could check these places out nearly anywhere - they're all chains (which given the context of the thread seems antithetical). Just sayin'...
More to discover