Review: Parasound Halo JC-1 Mono-Blocks Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

My system isn't exactly state-of-the-art, but it suits my tastes to a tee! I listen mainly to pop, r&b, country, alternative, and some jazz and rock.I listen to the best recordings I have to evaluate components.I want sound that is accurate, smooth, dynamic, open, fast, clean, and like an open, extended top-end, and bass that is tight, fast, and extended. I want good imaging and soundstaging with a slightly forward perspective.I don't really care a whole lot for excessive warmth or a laid-back sound. I don't like slow, boomy, or under-damped bass at all. I hate too forward, aggressive, thin, and bright sound also.
The JC-1's deliver everything I like in spades!! And does not do any of the things that I don't like.They are the most awesome amplifiers that I have ever heard or owned, bar none! It is though they are voiced to suit my particular tastes!
I normally do not write reviews, but my enthusiasm for these amps is so great, that I cannot contain my enthusiasm for them! CTC and Parasound must be praised and recognized for bringing such a product of excellence to the audio marketplace! Thanks guys!
I did own the Parasound HCA-3500 and Adcom GFA-5802 amplifiers, and I extensively listened to a friends Pass X-350 amp.The Parasound JC-1's are in a different league than the 3500 or 5802! The Pass is an exceptional amplifer, but I prefer the JC-1's.It is slightly warmer and has better bass extension and control than the Pass.Imaging, focus, and transparency is very similar.The JC-1's also sound more effortless and at ease than the Pass.It just sounds more neutral and natural to my ears! The Pass may have a tad more top-end extension, but this is irrelevant to me.Keep in mind also that my JC-1's have only about 100 hours on them, so they are no where near broken-in. This will require about 1,300 more hours.
The Parasound HCA-3500, Adcom GFA-5802, and McCormack DNA-225, are great amplifiers, but the JC-1's are in a different league! The HCA-3500 is more opaque sounding, and is harsher and grainier in the mids and highs compared to the JC-1's.The HCA-3500 does not have the bass extension, control, and tightness that the JC-1's have.The JC-1's sound smoother, cleaner, more natural, and faster than the 3500, Adcom 5802 or the DNA-225.
The Adcom is warmer and more laid-back, with a slight roll-off of the top-end, but a little more forward in the "presence" region, compared to the JC-1's.The Adcoms bass is slower, less extended, less powerful, and less controlled also. The Adcom is less transparent, open, airy, and detailed than the JC-1.
The DNA-225 is a great amp that is fast,detailed, dynamic, images great, and has great bass, but compared to the JC-1, it isn't as transparent, neutral, fast, or as open.
The JC-1's have a slightly warmer sound, faster, slightly more detailed, and have better image width and depth than the DNA-225. The JC-1's bass is also better contolled, and extended. The top-end is comparable, except that the DNA-225 is a tad grainier and a alittle courser. The DNA 225 also sounds alittle leaner and more "thread-bare" in the mids than the JC-1's.
I can really find no weaknesses with the JC-1's, except maybe the heat they can produce when used in the HIGH-BIAS mode, and they take up more room than a single chassis amp.
Sonically though, they are exceptional! Some people might find them alittle forward, maybe a little warm, or polite, but not me! Some tube lovers also might not be 100% happy with these amps, but, I am enthusiastically 100% pleased and satisfied with these amps. They suit me and my system to a tee!
Michael Fremer and Sam Tellig hit the nail-on-the-head with these amps! Everything they wrote about them is 100% accurate!
Even if I were wealthy, I think I would still choose these amplifiers! THEY ARE THAT GOOD, and I give them my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION! Check 'em out!
I AM IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED OR AFFILIATED WITH PARASOUND, ITS DEALERS, OR WITH CTC BUILDERS.I am just an average, at home audio enthusiast!

Associated gear
Sony CD/SACD Player.
Modded Pioneer DV-47Ai Universal DVD Player.
Adcom GFP-750 preamp.
LAT Internationals best interconnects and speaker cables-Externally Bi-wired.
Paradigm Reference Studio/100 version 2 loudspeakers.

Similar products
Parasound HCA-3500, Adcom GFA-5802, McCormack DNA-225, Carver A-760x, Pass Labs X-350.
daltonlanny
Gfroman,Tom munro, and Mdomnick:
Thanks for your replies to my JC-1 review. I appreciate your replies and feed-back very much!
I will post the results after my JC-1's are fully broken-in.
Unfortunately, I will probably wait till Fall when the weather cools down to break them in. Can't wait!
Thanks again you all.
Hi all,

Just added a Pass Labs X-1 preamp to my system.
Boy oh boy, what a combination!
My JC-1's still only have about 250 hours max. on them, so they are no where near broken-in yet. Can't wait! I am going to begin the 24/7, 60 day low-level signal break-in at the end of this month, or in early October.
Admittingly, I was beginning to have reservations about the sound of the JC-1's. They seemed to have a cloudiness or haziness in the mids and highs, lacked any depth or real dimensionality, seemed a little rolled off and/or undynamic on top, and sounded alittle lean.
NO MORE!
After I added the Pass, all these perceived weaknesses went POOF and seemed to totally disappear! Preamp choice is absolutely critical with these amps!
Again, I must say, these are the best overall awesome sounding amps I have heard in my home or anywhere else, and they are no where near broken-in yet. I don't regret buying them one bit!
Oh, also read my Pass Labs X-1 preamplifier review that I posted last night.
Thanks.
My one experience with Halo Amps is entirely consistent with this review, except, that I am a tube lover, yet I found this sound to be very enticing. It does not have tube palpability but it was (in my one audition of them) extraordinarily precise and lifelike. No transistor artifacts yet not boring like some transistor amps that avoid those artificacts.
I am in the process of fully breaking in my JC-1's. I currently have about 600 hours on them. I am about half-way there!
I will write an update once they are fully broken-in.
Thanks for all the responses!