Review: CM Labs 914 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

Long before Levinson,Krell,Threshold,and others there was CM Labs of Danbury,CT. This little high end company produced some of the most musical solid state power amps.The build quality is robust,and is a total mil-spec amp. The 914 is one of the first,if not the first of the high speed power amps. The power output is 125 Watts RMS into 8 ohms,with less than 0.1 percent THD,at any freqency from 20 to 20,000 Hz. 175 watts RMS into 4 ohm. IM Distortin less than o.1 percent up to rated power.Frequency response +- 0.1 dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz at full power.Damping factor better than 500 at 8 ohms!!Circuitry is fully differential,full complementary common-emitter output.Is built to MIL spec A8625C,Type 2.More important than all the above impressive specs,is the sound quality. This is without doubt one of the finest and most musical power amps I have owned. Clearly in the same league as Threshold,Levinson,and others in the high end spectrum.Seldom seen in for sale or auction. People that have then just dont get rid of them--Thats how good they really are in the real world of high end audio. But if you ever get a chance to acquire one,Grab it fast

Associated gear
Acoustat Speakers,HK T-60 TT,Threshold Preamp

Similar products
Bryston,Adcom,Van Alstine
ferrari
Thanks Ferrari for the info on the 915. It's a very musical amp with plenty of power. I would like to upload a photo, but I can't seem to find any instructions. Can someone please tell me how to go about this? I use Safari browser and Mac computer.

Ingelsj
Great thread, My name Ray I Live on the west coast of Canada.
I've been searching for a tube amp for months but do to my budget and the size of my power hungry speakers "heco Lab 2 Lautsprecher" I would need to spend far to much.
I was lucky enough to find this thread after seeing a cm labs cm149a in a local pawn shop. It looks like there have been some repairs/upgrades?
So I am now the proud new owner of this amp!!! I would like to Say many thanks to Ferrari!!!!! This thing is awesome, I will take some pictures asap and post them!!
I would like to ask anyone with info on my speakers to email me "sensitivity / biampable?"
Thanks in advance!!!
Just got my CM Labs 914a back after many years apart...I bought this in the late 70's as my Quatre Gain Cell kept breaking down (anyone own one of those?) Then the 914a went to my brother when I went to Levinson and Krell...I've now rebuilt my 2 channel analog audio room after many years of just HT 5.1 and I'm having a great time listening to the 914a...What a strong piece of gear...
Wow, I was looking at resurrecting all of my Vinyl equipment and part of that setup is 2 - CM 914's - Mine don't have the nice handles and wood sides, would be a nice addition. I always knew they sounded really nice and have compared them to many amps in the past. I had them powering a set of custom Infinity 2000a speakers with electrostatic arrays and upgraded quamtum jr 12" bass drivers. Added some heil air motion drivers in place of the mids and they sounded incredible. Unfortunately the bass drivers needed new foam and I have to fix one the ribbons on the heil drivers. fortunately, I have spares except they don't work either. More work. Back to the amp. My only complaint was when turning off the amp there was a pop in the speakers as the current was released. So I thought of adding a soft start circuit to the amp to prevent that. Comments? Should I just leave it? I also was going to replace all of the power transistors and drivers with sets of matched ones that I bought some 25 years ago. Guess I will be looking for some nice handles as well. I think somewhere if I can find it, I actually traced out schematics for this amp some 25 years ago. I will look to see if I can find them.

Glad I finally found some info on it!
I get the chance to buy a CM LABS 912 the one with the VU
power meter. At a very good price. The seller said that
i will need to change some old electronic piece to get
a maximum sound from this old amplifier.

Someone has an experience with a rebuild of a CM LABS 912 power amp or other CM LABS model?

This worth the investment knowing i will need to paid also
for rebuild.

Thank to answer me as i have to make my mind soon...