What to do with bad recorded CDs

When I upgraded to Mcintosh and Accuphase - Kef speaker system, I am in heaven for the first time I started this hobby a decade ago.

I found my-self not even breathing, to capture every bit of nuance of the music... It was a great moment for me - and I am a professional musician. Rarely do I encounter such moments in live music !

Good Hifi can equal if not better live performance - for me.

But alas, heaven turned into he-- when I put on badly recorded materials. It revealed bad CDs to the point of me wanting to throw them away.

What do audiophiles do about that ? Go back to a lesser system to play these ? Or should I throw away great portion of my collection ?
gonglee3
I added Van Den Hul Optilink glass cables to my digital front end. The OPPO (transport mode) is also connected through a single digital cable, and 6-channel for SACD's. I can toggle between inputs on my Proceed processor while the CD is playing for comparison. The Van Den Hul Optilink II digital connection best smoothed and cleaned up the worse recordings.

Also helpful: While critically listening, I can adjust volume of the subs, or, toggle the subs ON/OFF to send full range signals to all speakers. Removing musical subs (SVS Ultra 13 and REL Storm II tuned together) for certain CD's or tracks can make the CD sound much more enjoyable by cleaning up a poorly recorded bottom end.

Harsh highs can be tamed a bit by positioning speakers slightly off axis AND slightly moving yourself out of the direct line of poorly recorded high frequency output.

My system and room set-up included tests on each source to troubleshoot the best settings for poorly recorded music. My processor has a couple settings that "agree most" with the worst recordings. They are stereo, PL II Music, and L/R Surround mode. Each requires a moment to adjust the best sub setting: Volume up, down or subs on/off with full range signals sent to all speakers.

My subs set-up default settings helped: I set the default on the SVS to about 1/4 volume and used the internal crossovers of the sub itself from 20-40, and the REL at 2/3 volume and crossed over wide open from 20-92. Both are next to the Left main and both subs phases set to zero. The final default SML speaker level tests equalized levels of all speakers at 80 dB with the subs up 3 db for a large listening area. The subs bass blends great with the mains and has so much clear rhythm and natural feeling punch (especially with the REL turned up a bit), that alone can often override poor recordings. I now enjoy redbook disks like never before. My experience was sort of like painfully crafting one musical instrument capable of reproducing all instruments, then, learning to play the source material the best ways through it.

Instead of letting off many rounds ammo at many cds, why not take aim with an RPG at the huge pile of expensive crap masquerading as high end state of the arty poos hi-fi gear, but just can't seem to manange to play a less well engineered cd to the musical satisfaction of the poor listener?
Now, THAT would be fun.
old thread....

mapman, while ago you asked for some samples of a bad recorded cd:
i remember playing this cd on my system years ago by Adcom - it sounded good.
Recently, i played it on Accuphase with Magnepans, and McIntosh with B&W - and it is difficult to listen to it...
the CD is Love and Rockets - "Express"
Hak,

THis?

Listening on my computer using decent earbuds, it sounds OK, on par with most similar material I could compare with. Nothing great, nothing horrifically bad.

On a good system, really good recordings can make stuff like this difficult to listen to in comparison.

Myself, if the music is good, and I find it flat or less polished than most good recordings, I can still enjoy, as long as I find the listening to not be outright fatiguing.

ALso there is more that goes into system sound than just speaker and amp. The fine details can make or break things sometimes. There are many ways noise and distortion can be introduced into even the best systems in most environments, and with good gear and keen ears one can tell.